Sdwd

Well we are into the every-afternoon thunder storms here. Funny, we rarely have to water in July and August. The sky could be clear, nothing on the radar, then, the skies get dark and we have a nasty storm. Yesterday hubby and I were all set up to replace some fencing, and had to quit 10 minutes later due to thunder and lightning.

Yuck, Lucille had 2 bumbles on one foot, so it's been some surgery and care. One bumble popped right out. The other, is tender and I'd like it to come more to a head, so I just punctured it, and wrapped her foot in epsom salt gel and gauze. Will do that till I think I can pop it out. For a chicken that positively hates to be touched, she's a good girl and actually eats some bread after the proceedure. I really do hate slicing into chickens. Yuk.

Cyn, how's Suede doing?

Well we are into the every-afternoon thunder storms here. Funny, we rarely have to water in July and August. The sky could be clear, nothing on the radar, then, the skies get dark and we have a nasty storm. Yesterday hubby and I were all set up to replace some fencing, and had to quit 10 minutes later due to thunder and lightning.

Yuck, Lucille had 2 bumbles on one foot, so it's been some surgery and care. One bumble popped right out. The other, is tender and I'd like it to come more to a head, so I just punctured it, and wrapped her foot in epsom salt gel and gauze. Will do that till I think I can pop it out. For a chicken that positively hates to be touched, she's a good girl and actually eats some bread after the proceedure. I really do hate slicing into chickens. Yuk.

Cyn, how's Suede doing?
Hi Seminolewind,
I too am dealing with bumblefeet. My Violet has one in/on each foot, the big one on the left foot is not as painful to her. The little one on the right foot, however, is quite a different story. When my daughter and I did surgery On it on July 4th, it was too small to get at. And after doing the soak-and-rewrap routine ever since, it is still rather small, but rather swollen and sore. I was wondering what you meant by "puncturing?" I think if I could relieve the pressure and swelling, she would be much more comfortable. Could you go into a little detail for me? Violet would be ever-so grateful! Thanks!

mm

MM, I think Karen just meant she cut into the area to allow the medication to get in. I had a Violet who always had chronic bumblefoot. She was a great old girl.

Suede is just a sleepy old guy. Yesterday he crowed at the top of his ramp, then his head sank to his chest and he dozed off. I snapped a pic of him right then, since I was in the pen next to his taking pics of the chicks in there.

The Junebug is special.
love.gif

She's special alright Special Ed hahahahaha That girl is not right in the head I am telling you. But she is precious and annoying and sweet and a goober and perfect and and yeah we love her.

I hear that Cyn...sadly I am going to be forced to trim Lancelot's soon and I hated to do it before I got their runs completed but they are a gnat's hair from clicking when he walks now and they are dangerously sharp.

Quote: Well, I really hate carving. I usually start out by making a little slit in the center, or if pointy enough, slicing the tip off. So that's what I've been doing. Making an opening, seeing if the mass will 'pop' out. If not, I goop on Magnapaste, wrap, and do this every night. Magnapaste is like an epsom salt gel , minty, that you can find at a horse supply store. Last night when I checked, the bump was not ready, I could squeeze some yellow stuff out. So I keep on. I do this at night because it makes more hours of clean time. I wash the foot with soap and water, or antibacterial soap , dry, squeeze bumps, then put the goop on and wrap it. I make the puncture deep enough to get past that thick skin, or you can call it a tiny cut. I have used gauze soaked in epsom salt as well, but this stays on better.

Well, I really hate carving. I usually start out by making a little slit in the center, or if pointy enough, slicing the tip off. So that's what I've been doing. Making an opening, seeing if the mass will 'pop' out. If not, I goop on Magnapaste, wrap, and do this every night. Magnapaste is like an epsom salt gel , minty, that you can find at a horse supply store. Last night when I checked, the bump was not ready, I could squeeze some yellow stuff out. So I keep on. I do this at night because it makes more hours of clean time. I wash the foot with soap and water, or antibacterial soap , dry, squeeze bumps, then put the goop on and wrap it. I make the puncture deep enough to get past that thick skin, or you can call it a tiny cut. I have used gauze soaked in epsom salt as well, but this stays on better.
Hi again seminolewind,
I've been working from the "bumblefoot surgery" how-to in the Learning Center section. Ruth's (the author of the how-to) directions and accompanying photos are really helpful. My Violet's left foot looks exactly like the photos, except that I haven't been able to get to the bottom of the hard scab/core of it. I keep repeating the hot water soak, and re-wrap routine. Violet's right foot, on the other hand (or foot) had a much smaller scab/spot but was much more swollen and tender....until last night! It was almost kind of cool. After doing another hot soak, I tried digging a little, and after some effort, was able to get the whole core out. It's amazing how big the thing was, at least the size of a dried garbanzo bean. It must be a huge relief to the poor bird. Maybe now she'll be able to walk better. She almost couldn't decide which foot to favor more. I am still pretty new to all of this, so any and all help is so greatly appreciated. Just hearing how others are dealing with the same issues gives me more confidence that I can do it too.
Thanks for sharing!

mm

Back
Top Bottom