Sdwd

MM, it's yuck, isn't it??? Ruth's post is great. I opt not to cut thru the bottom. I snipped at one and the blob popped right out. This one, the bigger one, I've been keeping wet wrapped, and yesterday I got some yellow gunk out, and tonight I got a bunch out-kinda squeezing a pimple. My poor birdies, laying there all wrapped up in a towel, not even flinching. But it's gotta come out.

Now, I wonder if I should give a shot of Penicillin?

MM, it's yuck, isn't it??? Ruth's post is great. I opt not to cut thru the bottom. I snipped at one and the blob popped right out. This one, the bigger one, I've been keeping wet wrapped, and yesterday I got some yellow gunk out, and tonight I got a bunch out-kinda squeezing a pimple. My poor birdies, laying there all wrapped up in a towel, not even flinching. But it's gotta come out.

I wonder about that too. I am already fluent in giving injections...I have a diabetic dog...but I have no idea of dosage or even of how to acquire the penicillin. And then there's the bird anatomy thing. As I've said before....I'm still new to all of this. It's not that I have no clue, just not many clues.

mm

I wonder about that too. I am already fluent in giving injections...I have a diabetic dog...but I have no idea of dosage or even of how to acquire the penicillin. And then there's the bird anatomy thing. As I've said before....I'm still new to all of this. It's not that I have no clue, just not many clues.

mm

Penicillin can be purchased over the counter at Farm Supply Stores...it will be either behind the counter in a refrigerator or usually in the equine or cattle area. Use a 20g (gauge) needle 1/2' long. Inject the bird in the breast muscle opposite the crop (the bird's left side/right side if looking eye to eye with the bird) Insert the needle only as far as needed to insure you are in the muscle which is why I like a 1/2" needle,,,about 1/2 the length of the needle is good penetration and gives you some room to insert a little deeper about halfway through the injection. That is not necessary but I prefer doing it that way in order to prevent any back washing of the penicillin as you remove the needle.

1/2 cc or 1/2 ml is good for normal adult birds....a big bird like an adult orp you can go 3/4cc or 3/4 ml - a full cc or ml. No more than once per day for 4 days.

Here is an example of where to inject, find the thickest part of breast muscle. In this boy everywhere is thick but the X marks the general area to look....CYN I USED IKE'S PIC because I could not find a good chest shot of my boy

I just did a nasty bumblefoot surgery today...I had to make 5 cuts and she is on penicillin now also but with complications...molting, broody, not eating, thin and etc. I am days away from getting her foot under control and it blew up over night bigtime.

At 8:30 last night the bumble on her toe was there...I have been working on it for a couple of weeks trying to avoid cutting into the toe and risking paralyzing her or affecting her ability to walk....at 11:00 am today this is what we found...and she is walking fine for goodness sake. I removed the bumble from the toe and one small one from the bottom pad under that inflamed rea between her toes on the right in the pic and I make three cuts into that swollen area between the toes trying to squeeze any infection from there but none came out...only attached to the bumble plug. It is going to take time and doing this every other day to get rid of this I think and the birds general condition makes it trickier. She has gone broody and threw herself into a molt by not eating properly plus she has lost weight. They never make it easy for us. But this was my first time doing the surgery...you can do it. Use an exacto knife with a fresh sharp blade, have gauze pads, antibiotic ointment, sterile soap to wash her foot first, and long lengths of cotton material to wrap it....make sure the wrapping is done snug but not too tight...better to have the bird remove it than for it to cut off circulation to any part of the foot or leg. I used a bandaid on her toe because they are so hard to wrap.

Good luck with your bird...but do not be afraid to do it. You can believe it or not.

Seminolewind...do not be afraid to cut into the bottom of the foot/pad. Really, they do not flinch or notta. I did it today for the first time (above post). Cyn and Tom operated on two of my girls a few months back and one girl Tom did both feet and they were standing and walking around the next day. The pads were healed and closed over in about 4 days. See my girls foot above? That is the result of waiting and trying to do the squeeze method with her toe bumble...you need to dig that stuff out and pack it full of antibiotic ointment. I really hate to see anyone else make the mistake I made with my Addie...hers is so bad, it could be fatal if I did not do a good enough job on it or do not watch it carefully and meticulously now. Just my heartfelt suggestion...cut that thing out and be done with it. Penicillin may help a little but really it does not do a whole lot for Staph infections which bumblefoot is. I am giving it to Addie only because hers is so bad and her foot so inflamed I worry about the infection getting into her blood or spreading.

I really wish I had cut the original bumble out when it appeared and risked her losing the use of that toe....I could have cost my girl her life by being too cautious. Cynthia has done bumblefoot surgery more times that I could count and it really is a easy process, quick and over and the birds heal well. They tolerate it great too.

Good luck with yours.

Warm the penicillin before you use it.
Yes forgot to add that. Thanks Kathy.

mm I withdraw the medication into the synringe and roll it in my palms vigourously to warm it and keep it mixed. You will feel it warm up. Do not let it come to room temperature because it separates and thickens on you making it harder if not impossible to inject.

cetawyn, kathyinmo, seminolewind and speckledhen,

Thank you all so much for all the great help and support. I think I only have one more question: how can I copy/paste or otherwise save this section of this thread so I can reference it again when needed? I've already put Ruth's how-to on my favorites bar so I can bring it up while I'm doing the procedure each time. Thank you all, again, for being such a wonderful resource. My girls and I are in awe of your collective wisdom.

mm

The easiest way to save a portion is go to the beginning page of the part you want to keep and save to your favorites...it will then open to that page each time you open it from your favorites tab.

You are welcome for any knowledge I have acquired, Did you read my thread on leg injuries infection and etc in the illnesses area? Worth the read as a precaution.

Whew!
I hate to say this but I injected too far into the breast with penicillin on Valerie a few years ago, and she passed out. I thought I killed her. I was crying so hard and asking her please don't die. And then she came to and I cried some more. Be careful how deep you go. Now I only inject into the thigh.

Then, when I was cutting out her bumble one night, I couldn't find it, so I was cutting from the top and the bottom, and the darn hole went right through her foot. It healed up that way so she has a round
hole in her foot to this day. Being terrified, I now remove the scab, and slice the bumbles from the top, and if it doesn't pop out, I keep soaking until it is reachable. So far it's working. If not, my last resort is to cut deeper. Ewww.

Gotta show you some fun pictures. The first and 2nd one are from Kathy's eggs, the one more from this bunch was hiding from me.

Then, a picture of a hen hatched from Kathy's eggs and a hen hatched from Cynthia's eggs-together. Just happened to be there when I had the camera. How special is that?

Back
Top Bottom