Sdwd

Suede's face got quite pale yesterday and he seemed to have some trouble breathing for a few minutes. Could be he just swallowed something wrong, but was holding my own breath until he quit doing that open mouth gasping thing. His color sometimes does become darker than it should be, but then he colors back up. He spends way too much time sleeping and laying down, but he's an old guy and old guys need their rest.

I'm worried about his big Buff hen, Hope. As you know, her sister, Gracie, died awhile back after two months of going downhill and starving herself, in spite of all our efforts to save her. Hope was laying almost every day, then she started molting, her abdomen became a tad bloaty, she lost weight and quit laying, but she goes on the nest a couple of times each day, sits awhile, but no egg. She's been doing this for about three weeks now, maybe more. We gave her penicillin when we suspected EYP, but this is a breeder bird, like Nugget, not a hatchery hen, so I expected some longevity. Now, Suede may lose yet another hen. He's already outlived four of them.

I don't know how you'd know if you got it all, Karen. If the swelling goes down and it heals up, you'd have to assume you got it all. I have to operate on Meg again very soon. She has one really bad foot-at least the other one looks completely normal now, but that hen has had maybe 50 bumblefoot surgeries. She's just chronic due to her weight and her big fat oddly shaped feet.

Suede my big blue love is just needing his man naps. Bless his heart. Hug and kiss him for me Cyn.

I did foot surgery on Addie again tonight...got some more gunk out of the toe area but the foot swelling is not changing and I cannot find anything in it so I am going to keep at it...operating on it every other day...opening it daily and doing warm epsom salt soaks. Tomorrow I am getting some ichthomol at TSC and Monday, Dr. Mason (my Equine Vet) is bringing me by some strong drawing salve too. He is not going to have time to operate on her foot at all this week because he will be on call at the race tracks so he is going to drop the salve and instructions off in my barn around 4 am Monday on the way to the track. I truly adore this vet. He is not only one of the top and leading equine vets in Kentucky but he is compassionate, kind and always willing to help if he can. He has cared for Lancelot, Junebug, Delilah and now will be helping with Addie. Plus he takes excellent care of Diva Do.

Cyn...this drawing salve he is bringing by has a small amount of Silvadene (sp) in it as well as the ichthomol and other stuff. Addie's leg is not swelling, her foot is not swelling anymore, she is eating and drinking, she is passing dead worms now..I have only seen one small live one so the Ivermectin is taking care of that business. Dr. Mason said give it 5 days to kill all the live ones and in ten days it should clear them out fine. Her face color is good and her eyes are bright and clear and she is raising heck with me so these are all good signs I hope.

Have a great night all...toodles.

It's funny, I've now had 2 birds with bumbles, and they were both light weight. Lucille is a Polish.

I have ichthamol here. Should I use it next time? I would think that the stuff is smelly enough to kill any germ!

I've had a couple of lighter weight hens with bumblefoot, but most of mine have been the very heavy ones like Meg.

Sounds like Addie may be on the upswing, LH! That Dr. Mason needs to be cloned and the new one sent to me. I've used that salve, in a little metal tin, called Prid Drawing Salve by name, on bumblefoot, but haven't done it in ages, not since my friend/customer gave me that huge tub of Theramzene cream (Silver Sulfadiazene) that they use on raptors with bumblefoot at the nature center. Wish I'd thought to give you some in a little bottle when you were here, LH, but we thought we had it taken care of on those other two girls and I just wasn't thinking.

ETA:
BTW, are we still doing the Olympics?? Isn't that an idea whose time has passed? I know it's a sacred cow, but honestly, I think it's an outdated notion and we should quit spending billions of tax dollars on it.
hide.gif
I never watch it, no interest, think it's nuts to still be holding it this day and time. So, there's my jaw-dropping confession for the day.

Last edited:
Seminolewind I am going to mix some ichthomol with the neosporin to pack with and put a thin layer on the swollen areas between her toes. I say a little because birds are so sensitive to aromatic and it does smell strong and bad. LOL

Cyn he is a treasure for sure. He said he would take a look at her if it was later in the day he.was.coming by. I coil# not leave her in the barn for him and he knows that.
Don't sweat not remembering the salve because I did not think about it either to ask.

Seminolewind I am going to mix some ichthomol with the neosporin to pack with and put a thin layer on the swollen areas between her toes. I say a little because birds are so sensitive to aromatic and it does smell strong and bad. LOL
Cyn he is a treasure for sure. He said he would take a look at her if it was later in the day he.was.coming by. I coil# not leave her in the barn for him and he knows that.
Don't sweat not remembering the salve because I did not think about it either to ask.
Here's an Ichthammol product I use it is found at most farm/vet supply stores it does not have the strong creosote/pine tar smell like the over the counter Ichthammol does and its a whole lot cheaper in this bulk can than a 1.5 oz tube at walmart..ect.. I keep this and a tub of Nitrofurazone around for just such instances as our birds are sure clutzy and always have something needing doctoring for sure.
http://www.neogen.com/animalsafety/images/product/Ichthammol_lg.jpg

http://www.neogen.com/animalsafety/images/product/FuraZone_lg.jpg

Last edited:
Look what I found way down deep in the timber..........

WoW! Is that a "hen of the woods?" I think that's the name...it is very rare, grows only on a specific kind of tree (oak, I think), and supposedly has great medicinal properties. I'm trying to remember just where I've seen it before, some cooking show used it in a recipe. Need to do some research...

mm

ETA: Just googled "hen of the woods type mushrooms," and found the laetiporus-sulphureus looked the most similar. If it is the laetiporus-sulpureus, it is edible. It is certainly a marvel, whatever it is.

Last edited:
WoW! Is that a "hen of the woods?" I think that's the name...it is very rare, grows only on a specific kind of tree (oak, I think), and supposedly has great medicinal properties. I'm trying to remember just where I've seen it before, some cooking show used it in a recipe. Need to do some research...

mm
Well, I don't know! Tell me more!

I just thought it was a morel mushroom. The biggest one I have ever seen in my life! AND, out of season, too, as far as I know. From a distance it looked like a "brain," laying there.
gig.gif

I went far away - into a most beautiful area that I have never been before. It is nearing 100 degrees here already, and it was so nice and cool down there. I found it near an old dead tree. I think there is a fox den in the old tree, too. Ohhhhh, it was so nice down there. I think I will go back.

Back
Top Bottom