Sdwd

Well, I don't know! Tell me more!

I just thought it was a morel mushroom. The biggest one I have ever seen in my life! AND, out of season, too, as far as I know. From a distance it looked like a "brain," laying there.
gig.gif

I went far away - into a most beautiful area that I have never been before. It is nearing 100 degrees here already, and it was so nice and cool down there. I found it near an old dead tree. I think there is a fox den in the old tree, too. Ohhhhh, it was so nice down there. I think I will go back.
I was looking at your avatar as I was reading this paragraph, and I just had to laugh. It really seemed as though it was the chicken speaking about her travels.....

About four or five years ago we had two big trees removed, a Norway Maple and a huge, multi-trunked Holly. In the following years, it has been facinating to see the progression of root decomposition and the various types of mushrooms and fungi that have each taken their turn, in some kind of order, following the traces of the trees' former root systems. It was actually one of my first questions when I first joined BYC. I was concerned that the chickens might be at risk if I let them eat poisonous mushrooms. There were some that looked a lot like truffles, but no such luck. I was hoping I might be raising an accidental cash crop!

mm

What did you find wrong in the PH line, Tim? One thing I noticed at one point in a photo on their website was wing carriage, but they seemed meaty enough. Haven't seen many of them, though.

As you can see from the pic all the black on the back. This is also how many of the pullets are. Uncle George (yours) and my hens don't have this. It would be a set back to add them to my line IMO. I will be keeping the best pullets of them though. I'm selling them in pairs to get rid of the roosters. I have them all sold I think. You can never consider anything sold it you have the money in your hand.

I realize there are those who can get Dels from the hatchery but at nearly every show I've been to they are scarce.

Last edited:
Can you post pics of your birds that look proper? I h ave some hatchery Delawares and they're just for meat but I'm planning to choose a few to keep as breeders for another generation of meat chicks and I want to choose the best ones. Not that I intend to show them so I know it doesn't really matter but I'd like to see how they are supposed to look.

Kathy,
Please post some of your new birds they are so broad and pretty. No they never get to big for me to use them as they were intended as broilers. I know you mentioned yours might be getting to heavy. That is impossible as far as I am conserned. gloria jean

Got a pic with Isaac bending down so you could see his back. No smut. All the smut is usually cleared out by the time they're around 12-15 weeks old, if I remember correctly. He doesn't even yellow, either, like some lines tend to do. Anytime he looks yellow, it's when he's been dustbathing in our red Georgia dirt under the coop.

Guys, can you believe that Isaac, Ellie and Georgie are all past 3 1/2 years old now??

Last edited:
Got a pic with Isaac bending down so you could see his back. No smut. All the smut is usually cleared out by the time they're around 12-15 weeks old, if I remember correctly. He doesn't even yellow, either, like some lines tend to do. Anytime he looks yellow, it's when he's been dustbathing in our red Georgia dirt under the coop.

Guys, can you believe that Isaac, Ellie and Georgie are all past 3 1/2 years old now??

He still looks good Cyn. His grand babies are doing well .

LacyBlues OMG you are going to raise Delaware to eat? Bet you fall in love with them first. They are the most amazing, active, nosey, friendly, funny and just a hoot!

Ike is so handsome BUT not as handsome as my Suedenator, my big blue love, the blue tank and stud-Muffin on the GA mountains is....

He still looks good Cyn. His grand babies are doing well .
Glad you have some Ike kids. He's the best rooster, such a good boy. I love that I can do anything I want around Isaac or Suede and never worry about being hurt in any way by them. They are the sweetest roosters on the planet. If they weren't, they'd be fairly intimidating, as large as they both are.

LH, much as I love Ike, you know a large portion of my heart is taken up by a big blue teddy bear. He's a full 2 years older than Isaac and just gets sweeter with age.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom