Sdwd

I suppose you could ignore the threads you don't like and leave other members to make their own judgements.

When things poultry are running smoothly at home, there's not so much to talk about on that subject. Our banties mostly take care of themselves and so I don't have questions to ask at the moment. Other members have much more experience than do I and so there's little advice that I can offer just now. In the meantime, I enjoy reading and taking part in RR threads that appeal to me. RR threads that don't appeal to me I ignore. It's quite a simple mental process to make the decision, I find.

Social sections often keep a forum higher in the search engine rankings by carrying traffic that would otherwise not be there. That's good for the forum as a whole because a high search engine ranking attracts more visits. Also, the more rounded members have other common interests that they like to discuss and share with other members. I think that's good and healthy for BYC and it helps members to get to know a little about each other.

I recall one non-poultry thread in particular that several people found very useful. There are many others but this is one that springs to mind as I write. It was about growing and using bamboo. Do you remember it? Most members probably have no interest in bamboo but a few asked many questions and received a lot of useful information.
You're the reason they make those t-shirts !! I always wondered when I saw the t-shirts that said " I see STUPID people" what they were referring to! Now I know!!!

p.s. I already reported my self so save your breath!!!

Last edited:
Cyn,
Lets change the subject back to our flocks and friends etc.
I respect others opinions on all subjects but hate to have them pushed at me. We ALL have the right to them. Love ya and know what you have gone through.

Did you feel the earthquake on the Ga. and Tenn. border last night around 12 midnite? I sometimes forget we have the little rattlers.

I have two of my Dels left and they lay so wonderfully that I want some more. Maybe I can get someone I know to share just a few with me in the Spring. Mine all have pinched tails but they are so personable that it really does not matter. Curious little critters too.

Oh how did your hb know he had strokes? This is a new territory for me. I have been out of the medical field for over 25 yrs now. Mine seems to have just affected the balance center at the back of my brain. I go for a special MRI the 18th to see if the damage is seen on it.
It is actually a relief to know what happened, I imagined the worst , like Ms or some other horrible disease.
Hope your Day is full of the soothing that support of friends and our mtns can give. Gloria Jean

GJ, he was having migraines at the time and had to get an EEG. That showed the mini-strokes.

No, I didn't feel this earthquake, though we have felt a few in the past ten years here. My son called to ask me and that's the first I'd heard about it. See? I don't follow the news religiously, only spottily.

As for Delawares, Georgie is in full molt right now. Ellie isn't molting and quit laying, unless those crushed fragile shelled eggs have been hers. She is filthy and doesn't groom herself well. That is concerning me. I have examined her and cannot find anything wrong with her, but she's been dirty for a month while Isaac and Georgie are bright white. Makes me wonder. I'm about to use Invermectin Pour On for the entire main flock since they have not been wormed since August 2011 and they are barely laying now anyway. That should get any pests that anyone might have, though I have seen no evidence of anything of that nature on any of them or in any poop. Seems the appropriate time, though.

Isaac is having issues in the up and down changing weather. He looks wonderful, though he molted out all his long tail feathers and has this stumpy tail now.

Last edited:
I wormed with wazine last month and then this month did the ivermectin pour on for mites. I saw some on one of my hens before we changed to the new coop and runs. I too like to do that this time of yr. I hate to throw away eggs. I looked them all over and only one hen seemed to have them but all got treated. I had never had them until I got a hen from someone and she did not show it but must have had eggs that hatched. I had never seen one here until then. I have learned lessons the hard way. No full grown chickens of any kind come here anymore. Just eggs or chicks that are from someone I have gotten from before that I know have not touched the ground.. This Spring if all goes well I want some new varieties of chickens to add. The SLW are pretty, as are the faverolles. Some more of the Old German NH too. My hatching last yr. of the latter left me with only one hen which I kept and lots of Roos who I gave away.
Since most of my hens, well all of them are only used for eggs, I should get good layers. But I do like the unusual looking and pretty fluffy butts too. In the fall I try to get the num of hens under 18. Then my hb does not fuss about the feed bill so much. I still have two pretty fluffy orps. A blue one and a black one. One is a prima Donna , the blue one of course. Lizbeth.
I have not had an EEG. That might be a second test later. I have cluster migraines. Wow! do they knock me for a loop. I feel for us all. Migraines and health issues seem to require more and more of my time as I get older. This yr I will be 67. I can not believe how fast life goes by us. Gloria Jean

I want to apologize for not being able to ignore the comments made by certain people who interjected into the conversation. We are still in tears over our loss here today. Apparently, some folks on BYC believe that because I am no longer a moderator that I am fair game, though my answer to Tim was a complete generalization, not a personal attack, and a stated preference for the forum format and rules. Last I looked, I was allowed that. If I wanted to talk politics or religion or other unsavory and overly personal subjects, I would do so on other threads or even here, but I don't. I do not like debate. I do not debate. And I hate making work for the staff, having been on the other side of the curtain for many years, so to the staff, I'm sorry I didn't let the comments slide as I should have done. I was just too raw today.

Cynthia: I read your posts regarding the loss of your sweet dog and was heartbroken for you. About a year ago I lost my Sammy after only 9 years and I still think about him almost every day. Thought about you recently when I saw some pictures of your quilting handiwork in another post and wish you well....

Thank you so much, Don. I appreciate you saying so. Quilting and my chickens keep me sane, though I had to put down my project for a few days. You have to see to quilt and teary eyes aren't good for that. Time will make it better, but 15 years is a very long time to have a dog and she was the sweetest angel of a dog you can imagine. She was dumped on the side of the road as a puppy, someone picked her up, but realized their old dog wouldn't tolerate her, so they turned her over to the humane society. We adopted her when she was about 8 months old and never regretted it for a second.

I'm sorry about your Sammy.

Last edited:
Cyn, I was about to come to your defense, but I see you have matters well in hand! **Insert evil snicker here, since I STILL can't seem to get the tool bar to pull up!** There are those of us here who know and respect your position on certain subjects. **Hugs** Those who don't, aren't worth the inconveniencing of a few million electrons to tell them so! **wink** Just stand your ground. We'll stand with ya! **big grin**

Cyn, there's no need to apologise. We saw the whole drama unfold and under your circumstances I think we'd have reacted pretty much the same. I'm sure all of us here lost a much loved pet at some point, dog, cat or chicken. And you've lost more than one recently...
hugs.gif
The absolute last thing a person need after a time like you've had is someone in your face.

I loved and lost only one dog. A Bouvier-Staffordshire terrier X called Lelik (ugly - he was!) Had him 7 years and he was there for me during the hardest, most trying years of my life. In '98 he got sick and my parents had him put to sleep. While I was at work. They came to my work place afterwards to tell me, having left his remains at the vet. Well, you can imagine the scene. I still miss him very much. And I haven't met another dog who could get under my skin like he did. Probably never will. Every now and then you'll meet an animal, or a chicken, that leaves the most beautiful foot prints in your heart..

Back
Top Bottom