Sdwd

Cyn, there's no need to apologise. We saw the whole drama unfold and under your circumstances I think we'd have reacted pretty much the same. I'm sure all of us here lost a much loved pet at some point, dog, cat or chicken. And you've lost more than one recently...
hugs.gif
The absolute last thing a person need after a time like you've had is someone in your face.

I loved and lost only one dog. A Bouvier-Staffordshire terrier X called Lelik (ugly - he was!) Had him 7 years and he was there for me during the hardest, most trying years of my life. In '98 he got sick and my parents had him put to sleep. While I was at work. They came to my work place afterwards to tell me, having left his remains at the vet. Well, you can imagine the scene. I still miss him very much. And I haven't met another dog who could get under my skin like he did. Probably never will. Every now and then you'll meet an animal, or a chicken, that leaves the most beautiful foot prints in your heart..
Very nicely said.

mm

Well it looks like I'll have to put the Del hen down. Not something I want since she's an older girl, though not more than 3 I think. She was just sitting on the floor of the coop when I let them out. Went to church and I'm ashamed to say I forgot to pray for her. Not that I can't pray for her elsewhere but I do pray for my chickens.

It's raining here and supposed to rain more tomorrow. Well it could be worse.

The hen came to the door today but just sat there and didn't leave an egg. I think she's just looking for treats and trying bribe me with an egg. I don't dare start treating her at the door though.

Thank you, Amy, sumi and maizy'smom.

Tim, I'm so sorry about your Delaware hen. I'm afraid I'll lose Isaac before he turns 4 years old in February. He was running all over today and started his bad breathing again so I had to make him go back in the pen. I heard him all the way across the garden. Poor guy hasn't been the same since his fungal infection. And why wouldn't you pray for your chickens? He has his Eye on the sparrow, right? No creature is too insignificant.

Last edited:
Since she was sitting, could be something reproductive, Lacy. Tim, do you know? I've only had to put down one Delaware, Maxie. Her egg-within-an-egg was humongous and was in the abdomen, so no way to save her. I had always been worried that her super huge eggs would give her issues one day.

For wekiva bird: Robin, here are those fall pictures you requested. Since we removed so many trees, the color won't be as bright looking this direction, but you can see up on the mountains that they are changing, as well as on our maples, dogwoods and sourwoods. The oaks take longer to really show lots of color.

And of course, the sunflowers growing in the compost pile are really pretty. I can't grow them on purpose but they sure love that composted shavings! There is even a bumblebee on one.

Tim, do you know what her problem is?

Don't feel bad that you didn't pray for her this morning. You wouldn't lose her for that reason. The Lord knows. I pray for my animals all the time.

If she can be helped, couldn't you do that instead of putting her down, unless she's contagious?

I don't know what is wrong with her. She isn't walking today just hobbling if you nudge her. I really don't like to coddle my birds since I don't have the time and money too. Also I'll be gone in a week. I do intend to put her by herself and give her time to heal if it's possible. I'm not one to just jump at it. Lord knows I'd hate to do it cuz she's got and upset stomach or something minor. Everyone else seems fine. I've never had more than one bird at a time get sick and never a rooster that I can recall. The weather here has been fluctuating. Warm days, cold nights.

I feel I need to clear something up. My words to Cyn were only meant to encourage. I was not questioning her relationship with God. Nor anyones for that matter. Lord knows we all need to hear a few words of encouragement now and then. IMO.

Now if you don't mind I think I'll take a break from this thread for a while.

Goodness, Tim, I know that! I hope you didn't think otherwise from my answer.
hugs.gif
Gosh, I think I need a break from this forum, period. I did take one for awhile. Frankly, being speckledhen is not so fun right now.
hit.gif

Last edited:
Well, my goodness.....
We have had thunderstorms off and on for 3 days. My internet service has been sporadic. Seems it works when I am sleeping. I have been working. I feel like I am playing catch-up.
frow.gif

Lots of molting going on here..... which means few eggs and lots of feathers!

Back
Top Bottom