Sdwd

My Silver Phoenix, who lives in the bantam coop, has been sitting for 40 days now. About five days ago, I gave in and let her keep an egg because, no matter what I did, she showed no signs of letting up. I have no idea which hen's egg it is, but she is happy as a clam now.

And Aimee, one of the Belgian D'Anvers, is now broody for the THIRD time this year. I asked Aubrey (Boggy Bottom Bantams) if he's breeding Silkies into his D'Anvers now. Good grief. Guess Molly sitting so long was just too much for Aimee to resist. Sigh. It's almost winter, for goodness sake. I successfully broke up three other hens already, but Molly is a tough case. Well, not really successfully if you consider that two of the three sat the entire 21 days, plus a few, then quit.

Removed 7 hens from the main flock into the grow out coop (opposite side to Suede's hens). They are molting so badly, they are butt naked, especially big Ida, who is no longer big. They have a heat lamp in there for night. Chickens are cold tolerant if they have feathers! And Ida was in danger from Isaac's nails, plus Amanda's arthritis is acting up badly, so seemed the best thing to move the worst ones out of his reach. Neela has feathers now, but she has ZERO meat on her keel so she is in there, as is Gypsy, who is molting badly and had a hurting leg. They can stay warm, get special food and have a rest from rooster love.

Last edited:
Great Googly Moogly!! Do y'all realize that this coming Tuesday will mark two years, two months and two weeks exactly, that we've kept this thread running!?! Must be some kind of record there. How's that for a completely random thought?!?! Teeheeeheeeeheee!

Last edited:
Gettin' ready for the poultry show next weekend....
what do ya think?
lau.gif

Those Dels make me drool.!
ep.gif
Wow! And poor babys, When our flock molts they look so sad. Its like a kings wardrobe becoming a beggars clothes. I have a few that have lost their feathers and are almost finished getting their new coats back.
Its finally cool here . 38 this morning. Maybe the fleas will go away soon. Its been the worst yr in 24 yrs for them here. Now its Japanese lady bug invasion time. Every year those pesky biting stinkers come after my front porch and house.
What are you planning to have for sale in the way of day olds in the Spring , other than OGNH and SLW. Gloria jean

Back
Top Bottom