Sdwd

We have soft powdery red dirt by our house foundation that the birds dustbathe in. We have found that just throwing that dirt on a bleeding comb stops it better than anything, including blood stop powder (which NEVER seems to work). That red-brown powdered clay also disguises the wound instantly. Seems counter-intuitive, but whatever works, right?

You have to wait almost a year, Kathy. They really do take that long.

Hey, Scott!!

Tim, you'd have to keep him off the leg, if you can even get it back into the socket and secure it with vet wrap. I made that bowling ball sling for Zane way back when he was hurt to keep him off of his. I'm not sure it's really fixable because the joint will always be "loose".

Ike has a very tender hock joint right now. It's been like that for a long time. He hops when he runs and it's tender to the touch. I think that may have been why he fell off the roost last night.

I'm in Alabama now.

This rooster is one of two of Scotts BR's. They've just started crowing and then hens aren't laying yet and Lord have mercy they must be 7 mos. at least. I have 4 hens and 2 roos, but quite frankly don't hold much hope for them. Taking a year to lay and breed is a little tiring.

Now the BR's are nice and I hope to be hatching some in the spring. They'll be a year laying. They're molting now and the worst I've seen in my birds. I think it's the feed. I usually feed Agway 21% protein egg producer but the kids who loaded my feed gave me the 16% by mistake. I didn't take it back as it's too hard for me to get it back into the car. I think but don't know that the 21% makes molting easier.

I'm in Alabama now.

This rooster is one of two of Scotts BR's. They've just started crowing and then hens aren't laying yet and Lord have mercy they must be 7 mos. at least. I have 4 hens and 2 roos, but quite frankly don't hold much hope for them. Taking a year to lay and breed is a little tiring.

Now the BR's are nice and I hope to be hatching some in the spring. They'll be a year laying. They're molting now and the worst I've seen in my birds. I think it's the feed. I usually feed Agway 21% protein egg producer but the kids who loaded my feed gave me the 16% by mistake. I didn't take it back as it's too hard for me to get it back into the car. I think but don't know that the 21% makes molting easier.
Oh, yes. Protein levels make a difference. All four of mine are molting now. I had a conversation with the woman who supplies my organic feed about this when she delivered my 80lb order of layer mash. She took one 40lb bag back and swapped it for another 40lbs of broiler mash. She says growing feathers takes more protein, so replacing the 16-18% layer mash with the 20-22% broiler mash will help the girls to rejuvenate and replace their feathers more quickly, and replace their winter coats before it gets too cold. I started the girls off with all broiler, then started mixing in the layer mash (since I have it) in larger and larger proportions, so by the end of the 80lb supply, they will be back to all layer feed. There are also other supplements or "conditioners" available at the Agway or TSC, that you could add just to boost the protein content of your current feed. I was just concerned for my girls that I was going to have to start knitting them some sweaters to keep them warm! Here's hoping that they fill back in soon!

mm

Oh, yes. Protein levels make a difference. All four of mine are molting now. I had a conversation with the woman who supplies my organic feed about this when she delivered my 80lb order of layer mash. She took one 40lb bag back and swapped it for another 40lbs of broiler mash. She says growing feathers takes more protein, so replacing the 16-18% layer mash with the 20-22% broiler mash will help the girls to rejuvenate and replace their feathers more quickly, and replace their winter coats before it gets too cold. I started the girls off with all broiler, then started mixing in the layer mash (since I have it) in larger and larger proportions, so by the end of the 80lb supply, they will be back to all layer feed. There are also other supplements or "conditioners" available at the Agway or TSC, that you could add just to boost the protein content of your current feed. I was just concerned for my girls that I was going to have to start knitting them some sweaters to keep them warm! Here's hoping that they fill back in soon!

mm

Amen to that.

Oh dear lord! I have the same problem with my girls right now. And yesterday, it started SNOWING!!!
barnie.gif
hide.gif
That's about a month earlier than it should be! I've been giving the girls extra protein in the form of leftover meats from the table, as well as additional calcium in the form of such things as yogurt and cottage cheese. Denny tossed out the trimmings from the stew meat yesterday. Hey! If you ever want some very entertaining chicken TV viewing, toss out some stew meat scraps!
gig.gif
OMG! Talk about a free-for-all!
lau.gif
There are few things that the normally reserved FussyButt will go berserk over.....stew meat scraps being one of them.....I swear she put on a half a pound yesterday!!
lol.png

Cyn, I should have you scoop up a half cup of that red Georgia clay and send it up to me! I have the blood stop stuff too, but depending on the location of the bleed, I too have had problems with getting it to work well. Corn starch works pretty good.
wink.png

Lacy, a few of the other things that I keep stocked in the chicken first aid kit that I neglected to mention and that have just popped into mind:

Epsom Salt, Hydrogen Peroxide and Petroleum Jelly.

Epsom Salt for soaking bumbles prior to removal. It helps to soften up their pads as well as works to a small degree in killing bacteria.

Hydrogen Peroxide as a topical disinfectant. I'm not entirely sanquine about using it in an open wound, but in the absence of a more favorable alternative, it could be used in a pinch, I suppose.

Petroleum Jelly for preventing frostbite on combs and wattles. We're in a northern climate that can see overnight lows as far down as minus 20 at times. My two best weapons against frostbite are PJ and keeping the coops as dry as possible.

If I think of anything else, I'll be sure to let ya know.
wink.png

I just wanted to wish the "feller"(Yard full o' rocks/ Scott) that started up this thread a HAPPY BIRTHDAY today.
I'm sure he's in the woods after a big ol' white-tailed buck/or doe LOL but I'm sure he will see it eventually.

Have a good one ol' boy and enjoy yourself.
smile.png

Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom