Sdwd

Cyn, I need your help!

I have a young cockerel who I think hit his wing on his perch while trying to get up on it a couple nights ago. I noticed the last two nights that he was sleeping on the floor but I assumed it was because he had let the light escape before trying to go to bed. Anyway, yesterday, I noticed one of his wings was hanging lower than the other and today that wing was being held out to the side a little and still hanging.

Picked him up and guess what I found? In the first picture, its a little blurry but you can see some discoloration. It is extremely swollen and hot.

You can't really tell in the second picture, I just wanted it zoomed out for a size reference.

I held the elbow and the other joint and the bones between do move just a little bit.

What do I do? Should I wrap it to his body after the swelling goes down some?

I need to hear from you. I know I have some time as the body's swelling is doing a good job of stabilizing it. Please get online soon. Thank you.

Last edited:
Lacy, I'm not a vet and it's hard to say without being able to touch and examine it myself. Could be he cracked a bone in there. The usual thing says you'd loosely secure it to his body and give him a baby aspirin for a few days to help with any swelling, but that's all I can offer.

Back to work for most folks. No one around. I'm still in AL and should probably drive to a chicken persons place just to get a fix and help out. I miss my chickens and the chores. If you can believe that. Gotta take the rental car back today so that will be three weeks without a car or most of the time anyhow. Can't go places with the GKs. To much trouble.

Back to work for most folks. No one around. I'm still in AL and should probably drive to a chicken persons place just to get a fix and help out. I miss my chickens and the chores. If you can believe that. Gotta take the rental car back today so that will be three weeks without a car or most of the time anyhow. Can't go places with the GKs. To much trouble.

I believe it! I know I would miss my chickens and chores.

Nice to hear from you. Hope things are improving there.
hugs.gif

Have I mentioned that DS is getting transferred to Canada? Where will I go next winter if they're in the freezinger cold. The highest in Manitoba is 80* in the summer.

They're excited and I'm happy for them. At least for now.
hmm.png

I'm HOME!!!! Got in yesterday around 4 in the afternoon and now I'm just sort of going into hibernation mode for a few days. But, I thought I'd swing by and try to get caught up on things here.

Lacey Blues, watch for continued swelling on that boy of yours. To my mind, heat, along with swelling, is often a sign of infection. If the affected area becomes worse, you could try using a hypodermic needle to drain it. For now, I think I'd just try to immobilize the wing and keep a close eye on it.

Kathy, love that picture of the broody rooster!
gig.gif
Talk about having a gender identity crisis!
lau.gif

Speaking of cold winters.......While I was away, we had 6-8 inches of snow fall. Of course....
hmm.png
....wouldn't ya know it.....being the one person who lives for a good snow storm, I was away when it happened! Typical!
roll.png
By the time I got home, it was pretty much all gone except on the roof of the house. I wonder if this is an omen of things to come for this winter. Usually we don't see any snow until AFTER Thanksgiving!
hide.gif

I think I'd swelter in Dothan-that's in far southern Alabama. My cousins live grew up in Centre, Alabama, way up further north, so I'm familiar with part of that area, or used to be when I was younger.

I've been hijacking the Who owns 5 Acres? thread for way too long so I will whine over here instead, LOL. You know my tax situation, how they are trying to raise the taxes on the two lots I own adjacent to my house by 500%, right? That is in addition to my house taxes going up another $150, but I'm not fighting that portion, only the ridiculous land taxes. This county is breaking GA law by doing it for revenue, flying in the face of fair market value-you can read about some of the developments here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/720691/who-here-owns-5-or-more-acres/110#post_9932892

I've been looking in all of southeast Tennessee up to Knoxville and over to Pikeville and I cannot for the life of me find a single decent property under $175K on at least 2 acres not in a subdivision that I would consider leaving my place for-they have evaporated from what we saw a few years ago. I will not buy a trailer/mobile home (no offense to those who live in them, but not for me) and we don't have it in us to renovate a house or clear land again. And it cannot be a house with stairs unless everything we need is on the first floor. Unless there are secret listings somewhere, even the foreclosures are not there, not within 50 miles of Cleveland, TN.

I'll be in Cleveland, TN tomorrow-DH is taking me to Golden Corral for breakfast and the Hobby Lobby across the street, a very rare treat in honor of my b'day on Sunday, and I was hoping to pick a promising listing or two to check out between here and there. Cannot find one.
hmm.png
Strangest market I've ever seen. I'll keep looking. Being a former realtor, I don't have inside access to the MLS anymore, but I do know that sometimes, it's how you put in the criteria that determines what answers pop up so will keep looking today. I'm seeing the same old listings that have sat there for two years and some that are gorgeous but that no one will touch probably because they are near the nuclear reactors at Watts Bar dam (those creep me out, too, frankly, with all the evacuation route signs along the roads) or in flood plains.

If I could have a glimmer of hope that there were places out there available in our price range, I'd feel somewhat better, but at the moment, after spending hours yesterday on the MLS site, our home seems pretty great to me, with all we've done here. Sigh. I hope our last hope works out for fixing the tax situation, since the appeal is not looking good after finding out that market value won't be considered, against all of GA law. If not, we have another year before the next bill comes to find a place if we decide we have to go, or maybe money will fall from the sky, eh? Much as I hate to do it, may have to make a huge bed quilt to sell to pay the taxes, if anyone has the $$ to buy stuff like that anymore.

ETA: oh, my, what on earth? This is what I saw on a listing in Cleveland, TN, a house on 5 acres with horse facilities:

Quote: What the heck do they think "swine" are????? LOL, LOL!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom