Sdwd

I had you a long letter ready and lost it. Ugh! I hate when that happens. I understand the tax situation. NC is worse. I guess GA. is trying to catch up with us here. Tenn. is a beautiful clean state. When I have gone over there I never see trash along the roadways etc. My NC. unfortunately is terrible.
I understand the need for a real house too. I live in a DBL. wide here in the Mtns. So many times I have wished for a real sturdy house with a real honest to goodness sealed basement. For storage and for safety in storms. ( I'd use it for chicks too. ) We have st. line winds here a lot . It gets really scary. My neighbor lost almost 1/3 of his roof just this month. I thought my roof and house would go too. If I could afford another flatter place away from this cove I would get it. But it would have to suit me and my chickens as well. Moving would be expensive, getting another coop, run set up etc.
Have a good winter. I am having to go to the coast of NC. for the winter. I will catch up later. Gloria Jean

Cyn

Might be worth looking into something like this

https://etax.dor.ga.gov/PTD/cas/cuse/assmt.aspx

I have friends that "farm" in S Ga and there are multiple "programs" out there in which property can be reclassified as farmland, timberland, etc, etc depending upon the situation in order to reduce the tax burden. Just paid mine yesterday...house, plus 2.7 acres in rural Bartow County was $1986....uugghhh

I don't those could apply here. There are two things on that page that concern me:

Quote: What records could I show? I don't sell anything or breed anything.
Quote: Not sure on that last one. There is one restriction here in my development that prohibits pigs. We can have any other livestock, but not pigs, so not sure how I read that. If it restricts even one, does it not qualify, or only if it restricts the one I'm getting the use tax reduction for?

I did find this one listing I like. The name of the street is off-putting, LOL, but take a check on this:

http://www.crye-leike.com/2460-lead...181404-tid-rivercounties-mlsnum-20124563-ln-1

The description should keep it on the market for quite some time, but hey, the realtor was extremely honest! This cracked me up big time, LoL!! It wouldn't put us off of it, but it would kill most sales. The gun club is way behind the house (checked the tax maps) and through the woods. Unfortunately, it has a subdivision name, though. That bothers me way more than the gun range.
Quote:

Last edited:
From what Im reading, it can qualify for conservation use as long as theres nothing, like a homeowners association, that prevents you from raising poultry. I bet "relevant records" could include feed bills.

Now I see thats for 10 acres or more.

Edited to see thats for less than 10 acres which would apply to you. Reading comprehension please (bonk).

Last edited:
Kathy - not to near Dothan and how would I get chickens home. ' sides I'm thinking of dumping orps for Buckeyes. But that can change tomorrow.

Cyn - Swine or pigs? Now you know why this country is in the condition it's in. Hope you find something you like. I'd sure move south if the Good Lord wanted it, but it would take a lot for me to believe that. The house we have now is more than I'd prayed for. Everything on one floor and low ceilings. Enough for DW's dinningroom set and plenty of land to deal with all flat. Now if the poles do reverse as some believe and I get Alabama weather that'd be just fine with me.
gig.gif

They get cable here and the Preppy channel. Good lord have mercy!
lau.gif
I watched a few episodes. Apparently one guy thinks he's going to have snow plows to lead the way to his bunker,
lau.gif
If all heck breaks loose in the winter.
lau.gif
. Sorry if there are any preppers here.

Crazyhen - If you're happy with what you got that's all that matters. I've seen some very nice DBL's. Better that than an Condo or apt.

Scott - behave yourself.
wink.png
CR's are fine, as far as I know. Had to have one of two roosters put down while I'm away though. According to my DD, who tried to do it he didn't go easy. I believe he went for soup. He had a dislocated leg as far as I know, but then the cold got to him and he had trouble getting around. I'm glad he went for soup cuz they are nice birds for eating. Don't know if the hens are laying yet or not.

Lacey Blues, watch for continued swelling on that boy of yours. To my mind, heat, along with swelling, is often a sign of infection. If the affected area becomes worse, you could try using a hypodermic needle to drain it. For now, I think I'd just try to immobilize the wing and keep a close eye on it.
I took your advice. I tried draining it but I couldn't get anything through the needle. When I withdrew the needle, he bled and it was clean. No sign of infection. I did it in two places. Same result.

It is still swollen and hot. He is still eating well and looks somewhat cheerful despite the wing problem. I know it has to be hurting him. I did make a pill of some antibiotic powder I have here. Hopefully that will help. I figured if it was the bone that was fractured/broken the swelling would have gone down a little by now. Also, the night after I first posted this and the following night he was up on his perch. Maybe it's not fractured/broken. I don't think he would fly if it was, would he?

Tim, I'm a sort-of prepper, or at least, trying to prepare for hard times by storing some supplies for times when there may be no money instead of just low money. What cracks me up is the term "Doomsday prepper". You can't prep for doomsday, silly people. You can prep for hard times and should, but geez, people, if the world blows up, so do all your supplies and food.

If my only two choices were Orps or Buckeyes, I'd pick Buckeyes. Orps are not the best layers in my experience. I'm leaning more toward a true American homestead chicken these days.

Last edited:
Cyn - I agree about the preppers. Somehow they think they live in areas unaffected by the doom.. I have a friend who has told me more than once
old.gif
about an earthquake that happened in Ohio and rang the church bells in Boston. I'm always polite and just listen.

Now the orps? Strange as you may think it is, I agree with orps not laying very well. Perhaps the Buffs do but not the other colors. The English look puffy and nice but it's in the Practical Poultry magazine that tells how the developing of show birds has affected the productivity of the breeds.

If you read the NY thread one person is getting rid of her beautiful SLW's because her roosters were infertile. I have two hens from that line.

So I may get some Buckeyes. The Birchen Marans I've got aren't up to par markings wise but they are good layers of large eggs. IMO a large sized egg is big enough for anyone.
smile.png

Cyn - I agree about the preppers. Somehow they think they live in areas unaffected by the doom.. I have a friend who has told me more than once
old.gif
about an earthquake that happened in Ohio and rang the church bells in Boston. I'm always polite and just listen.

Now the orps? Strange as you may think it is, I agree with orps not laying very well. Perhaps the Buffs do but not the other colors. The English look puffy and nice but it's in the Practical Poultry magazine that tells how the developing of show birds has affected the productivity of the breeds.

If you read the NY thread one person is getting rid of her beautiful SLW's because her roosters were infertile. I have two hens from that line.

So I may get some Buckeyes. The Birchen Marans I've got aren't up to par markings wise but they are good layers of large eggs. IMO a large sized egg is big enough for anyone.
smile.png

I agree about the preppers. For some reason they think they each live in an area that won't be affected by the doom. Apparently haven't seen the movie 2012. One of my favorites. I love the explosions and all that.

As for the orps? I agree. The Practical Poultry magazine tells how the development of the show birds has affected the productivity of the breeds. Perhaps the Buffs are still good.

Back
Top Bottom