Sdwd

Tim, your problem might not be how cold you're getting, but rather a moisture problem. We typically get down to the minus 20 range in the winter. The only time I've had any kind of real problem with frost bite is if their coop gets damp. That happens when those silly women sit out in a full on blizzard and then cart all of that snow back into their coop! The Dingbats!
roll.png
But, if I can keep them from doing that, and keep the coop dry, the petroleum jelly applied to rooster combs at bedtime seems to do the trick.
wink.png

I believe you're right. The only rooster who didn't get frost bit was the BR in thing hoop coop. I have humidity gauges in both coops. I don't know how to fix the ventilation problem in the wooden coop.

Too, I think the ceiling of the coop is to high. If you notice most of the old coops have a slanted roof and are not high at all. Not like some of the new ones I'm seeing made.

Of course you all can be on my Delaware list. hahaha .....
I do not keep lists.
gig.gif
I stopped that a long time ago. Too many people don't like to wait, and change their minds. That's fine, I understand. I just quit with lists, and just hatch when I feel like it. Whoever happens to contact about that time - they get chicks. Much less pressure.

Of course you all can be on my Delaware list. hahaha .....
I do not keep lists.
gig.gif
I stopped that a long time ago. Too many people don't like to wait, and change their minds. That's fine, I understand. I just quit with lists, and just hatch when I feel like it. Whoever happens to contact about that time - they get chicks. Much less pressure.

Note to self: After January 1st start PMing Kathy weekly...

caf.gif

I can't make any plans chicken wise til I get home. Last year I got Del chicks late in the season and I didn't like that. I have no idea if they're even laying since they wouldn't have started til now. DW doesn't know how to tell.

I'm beginning to rethink my late broody hatches. Whether or not it affects their productivity to be hatched late as opposed to spring chicks. My own chicks I hatch early in the year. Say January.

I haven't contacted Doug Akers. He has no website that I can find. Are his better than anyone elses?

Don't get me started or she'll be getting a daily e-mail. Eggs, chick don't matter to me. Seriously I'd only want HR's.

Cyn can you believe how good I've gotten at hatching? Thanks to you and your advice to buy the Genesis. I really appreciate the advice though I can't say DW does.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom