Sdwd

Thanksgiving did not become a national holiday in the United States until the fall of 1863, when President Abraham Lincoln issued a proclamation declaring that the last Thursday in November would be a day of national thanksgiving.

While Lincoln issued the proclamation, credit for making Thanksgiving a national holiday should go to Sarah J. Hale, the editor of Godey's Lady's Book, a popular magazine for women in 19th century America.

Hale, who campaigned for years to make Thanksgiving a nationally observed holiday, wrote to Lincoln on September 28, 1863 and urged him to issue a proclamation. Hale mentioned in her letter that having such a national day of Thanksgiving would establish a "great Union Festival of America."

With the United States in the depths of the Civil War, perhaps Lincoln was attracted to the idea of a holiday unifying the nation. At that time Lincoln was also contemplating delivering an address on the purpose of the war which would become the Gettysburg Address.

Lincoln wrote a proclamation, which was issued on October 3, 1863. The New York Times published a copy of the proclamation two days later.
The idea seemed to catch on, and the northern states celebrated Thanksgiving on the date noted in Lincoln's proclamation, the last Thursday in November, which fell on November 26, 1863.

The text of Lincoln's 1863 Thanksgiving proclamation follows:
October 3, 1863
By the President of the United States
A Proclamation
The year that is drawing toward its close has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever-watchful providence of Almighty God.

In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign states to invite and provoke their aggressions, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere, except in the theater of military conflict; while that theater has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union.

Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defense have not arrested the plow, the shuttle, or the ship; the ax has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege, and the battlefield, and the country, rejoicing in the consciousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom.

No human counsel hath devised, nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy.

It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently, and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American people. I do, therefore, invite my fellow-citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a Day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the heavens. And I recommend to them that, while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners, or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty hand to heal the wounds of the nation, and to restore it, as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes, to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility, and union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United Stated States to be affixed.

Done at the city of Washington, this third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the United States the eighty-eighth.

Abraham Lincoln​

Proclamation of Thanksgiving

Washington, D.C.
October 3, 1863

This is the proclamation which set the precedent for America's national day of Thanksgiving. During his administration, President Lincoln issued many orders similar to this. For example, on November 28, 1861, he ordered government departments closed for a local day of thanksgiving.

Sarah Josepha Hale, a 74-year-old magazine editor, wrote a letter to Lincoln on September 28, 1863, urging him to have the "day of our annual Thanksgiving made a National and fixed Union Festival." She explained, "You may have observed that, for some years past, there has been an increasing interest felt in our land to have the Thanksgiving held on the same day, in all the States; it now needs National recognition and authoritive fixation, only, to become permanently, an American custom and institution."

Prior to this, each state scheduled its own Thanksgiving holiday at different times, mainly in New England and other Northern states. President Lincoln responded to Mrs. Hale's request immediately, unlike several of his predecessors, who ignored her petitions altogether. In her letter to Lincoln she mentioned that she had been advocating a national thanksgiving date for 15 years as the editor of Godey's Lady's Book.

The document below sets apart the last Thursday of November "as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise." According to an April 1, 1864, letter from John Nicolay, one of President Lincoln's secretaries, this document was written by Secretary of State William Seward, and the original was in his handwriting.

On October 3, 1863, fellow Cabinet member Gideon Welles recorded in his diary how he complimented Seward on his work. A year later the manuscript was sold to benefit Union troops.

By the President of the United States of America.

A Proclamation.

The year that is drawing towards its close, has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the source from which they come, others have been added, which are of so extraordinary a nature, that they cannot fail to penetrate and soften even the heart which is habitually insensible to the ever watchful providence of Almighty God. In the midst of a civil war of unequaled magnitude and severity, which has sometimes seemed to foreign States to invite and to provoke their aggression, peace has been preserved with all nations, order has been maintained, the laws have been respected and obeyed, and harmony has prevailed everywhere except in the theatre of military conflict; while that theatre has been greatly contracted by the advancing armies and navies of the Union. Needful diversions of wealth and of strength from the fields of peaceful industry to the national defence, have not arrested the plough, the shuttle or the ship; the axe has enlarged the borders of our settlements, and the mines, as well of iron and coal as of the precious metals, have yielded even more abundantly than heretofore. Population has steadily increased, notwithstanding the waste that has been made in the camp, the siege and the battle-field; and the country, rejoicing in the consiousness of augmented strength and vigor, is permitted to expect continuance of years with large increase of freedom. No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy. It has seemed to me fit and proper that they should be solemnly, reverently and gratefully acknowledged as with one heart and one voice by the whole American People. I do therefore invite my fellow citizens in every part of the United States, and also those who are at sea and those who are sojourning in foreign lands, to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next, as a day of Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens. And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union.

In testimony whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the United States to be affixed.

Done at the City of Washington, this Third day of October, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, and of the Independence of the Unites States the Eighty-eighth.

By the President: Abraham Lincoln

William H. Seward,
Secretary of State

I have no objections with anyone who chooses not to celebrate any holiday. I do have objections to the negative comments directed toward those of us who do.

As for the history of the first "Thanksgiving" and all that took place? I am not fool enough to think that the English were the only evils in the history of this country. I also do not believe the English were the only ones to twist the facts. Not because my wife's Native Americans ancestors were less righteous but because all men have the capability to commit sin. I live right near the Onondaga Reservation and I can see first hand for myself what some residents suffer at the hands of those in power. They may not call themselves politicians but they behave just a badly. See the "Billboard, Onondaga Nation Property, near Syracuse, NY".

Therefore my reason for celebrating Thanksgiving has nothing to do with anything other than thanking God. If I should choose to thank Him for the Natives Americans who helped the English survive I should not have to suffer ridicule. I can not answer to those who regret the past course of events.

If someone doesn't choose to observe a certain Holiday that's their prerogative. How they originated means nothing to me because I know facts get twisted with each telling of the events. Depending of course whether the teller is pro or con. It's what they mean to me personally.

My comment was this:

Quote:
Tim, you got all up in my face over that simple off-hand comment at the end of my post. YOU, sir, were out of line. That nasty retort from you is the reason I don't seek out people any longer. I said nothing about you, nothing about anyone celebrating anything except for ME, that it messed it up for ME. If you have no issues with it, more power to you. I don't celebrate Christmas, either. I let the pagans keep that one. If you don't care about that, well, that's your perogative as well. Why you are so darn defensive about a simple innocent comment I made, I have no idea, but maybe you need to check yourself to see why it got to you so badly. I don't need some designated day to count my blessings. I have enough stress of late without people I thought were sort-of friends coming down on me for no reason at all.

Kathy, you are being obtuse and missed the point entirely. Lincoln's proclamation didn't start the thanksgiving stuff, only the designated celebration of it. A person can't even make a simple aside comment or joke around here without someone getting attitude over it. You didn't help this conversation.

I am done with SDWD. My life has enough stress.

Last edited:
Kathy, you are being obtuse and missed the point entirely. Lincoln's proclamation didn't start the thanksgiving stuff, only the designated celebration of it. A person can't even make a simple aside comment or joke around here without someone getting attitude over it. You didn't help this conversation.
OHHHH, well just excuse me and let me butt out of here.

My comment was this:

Tim, you got all up in my face over that simple off-hand comment at the end of my post. YOU, sir, were out of line. That nasty retort from you is the reason I don't seek out people any longer. I said nothing about you, nothing about anyone celebrating anything except for ME, that it messed it up for ME. If you have no issues with it, more power to you. I don't celebrate Christmas, either. I let the pagans keep that one. If you don't care about that, well, that's your perogative as well. Why you are so darn defensive about a simple innocent comment I made, I have no idea, but maybe you need to check yourself to see why it got to you so badly. I don't need some designated day to count my blessings. I have enough stress of late without people I thought were sort-of friends coming down on me for no reason at all.

I am done with SDWD. My life has enough stress.

Please understand,

I am defensive because I DO celebrate Christmas, and don't consider myself a pagan. Should I be offended? I am defensive because last year someone decided to post their explanation about the origin of Christmas and my take was their purpose was intended to put a "damper" on it for those of us who celebrate Christmas.

I took offense because I do celebrate Thanksgiving and it's meaning for me may or may not be what others believe, but I see no reason to put a damper on it for those who do or do not celebrate it. I took the comment as a subtle hint. Perhaps that's not what was the intent.

I have my reasons for why I don't believe what others do, but I don't address those here.

Now if anyone here should wish to say, Happy Kwanza or Happy Hanukkah or something else I may not respond but that does not mean I don't wish you well or that I am not your friend.

I believe a friend loves at all times.

I see the good ol holiday spirits are up and at it here on the BYC/SDWD

Its supposed the HAPPY THANKSGIVING and MERRY CHRISTMAS
hmm.png

Not grumbling Grouchday, and I got the winter blues Wednesday, LOL
wink.png

Good day to all
frow.gif

Jeff

Hey! Hey! HEY NOW!! Y'all just STOP this! Have you forgotten that you are FRIENDS!?!? Dayum! It's like somebody dropped a big old grouchy bomb in here!!! SHEEEESH!!!
barnie.gif

Maybe it's time for everyone to backtrack a few hundred pages here and refresh their memory of all of the fun and good times we've had on this here little thread!?! Maybe? Huh? Dadgum!

Maybe we need to remember what brings us TOGETHER and drop those things that seek to divide us.
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Well, ya know, we all get stressed at times. ALL of us. Taking it out on each other really does no good for anyone. Getting angry or defensive is simply misdirected frustration. Stress management can be a difficult task, but it can be accomplished - if one is willing. If not, then the rest of the group must practice tolerance. That, too, can be learned, if it doesn't come naturally.

We all live differently. We come from different backgrounds. We believe differently. We usually accept these differences. One thing I always loved about our little close knit group is that we could always be honest with each other. Honest and accepting. Vent away - friends listen.

A true friend is not a fair-weather friend. A true friend has the ability to forgive. We are all human, and we all make mistakes. A true friend respects each others' beliefs. We respect each others' believes and morals, whether we believe in them ourselves or not.

True friends treat each other with respect. True friends can laugh together and cry together. Most importantly, true friends stick together. They don't give up and leave you when you need them most.

Friendship isn't a big thing. It's a million little things.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom