Sebright Bantam Hen Suddenly Aggressive?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
My beautiful Sebright Bantam Hen, who I've raised from a chick, turns 8 months old on May 26. She has always been spunky with the cats and holds her own with her bigger siblings, but today, for the first time, she tried to attack my foot several times, as well as that of my hubby's. She has never ever done this before. It's almost as if she's copying the rooster's behavior?

What do you think is up with this?

We have been making some changes to the coop and run-- removing plants and pieces of scrap wood, putting up higher walls, etc. Could this cause such behavior in her? Her sisters are acting the same as they always do, not a bit aggressive.

I wondered whether she could be broody? I did hear her making some squawks. I've read that Sebrights don't tend to go broody often. She is a good layer, laying nearly every day, although I haven't seen an egg from her today.

My big worry is that she will get underfoot, trying to attack one's foot, and get stepped on accidentally, because she is so tiny. I don't want her to get hurt. But now I can't let her out of the run, for fear she will attack some mean person who might hurt her in revenge. She didn't actually peck me or my hubby-- just kind of flew up on our foot as if she was thinking about pecking us or as if we annoyed her.

All thoughts will be appreciated. Do bantam hens usually turn aggressive at 7-8 months old?

I found this site which states that Sebrights are sometimes aggressive, so maybe it's just her breed?:

http://yourpoultrynz.blogspot.com/2011/09/poultry-profile-sebright.html

Another article suggests displaced hostility, and I do see her StepMama try to peck at her and chase her quite a bit. But she's never tried to attack before. I have to wonder whether she's not just trying to defend her territory from all the changes, or mimicking the rooster's behavior, seeing how much power he has?

Another article suggests it can be attention-getting, but she's never liked being picked up and petted. She's my most skittish chicken. She may be mad that she can not fly the coop so easily anymore, since we put up higher fencing?

I've been coming across quite a few posts about how Sebright Bantam hens often start crowing like a rooster. It is thought they wish to dominate their flock. Weird! I hope my little girl doesn't start crowing. I already have a rooster! Could she be trying to compete with him, I wonder?

My little girl crows. It's hilarious and rather shocking! I once moved a silkie cockerel who didn't crow in with her and her friend. 6:30am... a crow-off! He on one perch, her on the other, taking it in turns crowing. If I wasn't so worried about the neighbours I'd have been
lau.gif

She hasn't crowed, since. Probably thinks she scared all males away! She's definitely little miss bossy and it makes life difficult when it comes to moving another hen in with them, but she's not aggressive to people in any way. She talks a lot; lots of little "doodoodoo". If you talk to her, she'll answer you.

She lays nearly everyday, HUGE eggs. I really feel sorry for her.

I think she only acts like she does because I removed her brother, whom she doted upon. Anything he did, she'd do. I think that's why she decided to carry on his legacy of crowing and chasing sparrows out the garden!

My little Merry Etta was not aggressive this morning to me. Maybe she was just having a bad day yesterday? That is hilarious about the crowing hen!

Time-Out and Chickens 4 Ever, I meant to ask you whether your girls are also Sebright Bantams, or are they another breed of chicken?

Back
Top Bottom