**~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all poultry welcome!

How beautiful! What kind? Love that caramel color!
love.gif
Its a Pumpkin Hulsey American Gamefowl chick, her name is punkin. My 3 yr old named her. And thank you. :)

So stoked. I just peeled 18 freshly laid (over the past week) eggs that I hard boiled without loosing any whites! Found a tip on the internet that ACTUALLY works.
wee.gif

Absolutely!!! I just posted this on the Old Folks Home thread:

OK I just have to share a tip I learned on the internet for making hard boiled eggs out of freshly laid eggs. I have tried all kinds of different methods. Salt in the water, Eggies (they really are horrible to clean), starting with cold water, putting the eggs in already boiling water and even tried the baking method. All of those produced the same result of losing a lot of the white when peeling the eggs. I just tried this new method on 18 eggs that were laid over this past week. Before putting the eggs in the water, take a tack or some other tool that will make a small hole (I used a small skewer that people use for baking turkeys) and pierce the large end of the egg just enough to get through the shell but trying not to break the membrane (if you break the membrane, no big deal you will just loose a little of the whites while the egg is cooking). Get the water boiling first (this keeps the yolk from getting that greenish tinge) and then slowly lower the eggs into the boiling water. You will see air bubbles escaping from the hole that you made in the egg. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes (depending on how hard boiled you want them). Right after they finish cooking put the eggs in an ice water bath for 15 minutes. You can crack them up a little before you put them in the cold water if you like. After chilling them, I like to crack the shells up a bunch to make it easier to peel them. It was sooooooooo much easier to get under the membrane and peel those eggs. I didn't loose a bit of the whites when I was peeling them.

Absolutely!!! I just posted this on the Old Folks Home thread:

OK I just have to share a tip I learned on the internet for making hard boiled eggs out of freshly laid eggs. I have tried all kinds of different methods. Salt in the water, Eggies (they really are horrible to clean), starting with cold water, putting the eggs in already boiling water and even tried the baking method. All of those produced the same result of losing a lot of the white when peeling the eggs. I just tried this new method on 18 eggs that were laid over this past week. Before putting the eggs in the water, take a tack or some other tool that will make a small hole (I used a small skewer that people use for baking turkeys) and pierce the large end of the egg just enough to get through the shell but trying not to break the membrane (if you break the membrane, no big deal you will just loose a little of the whites while the egg is cooking). Get the water boiling first (this keeps the yolk from getting that greenish tinge) and then slowly lower the eggs into the boiling water. You will see air bubbles escaping from the hole that you made in the egg. Cook for 12 to 15 minutes (depending on how hard boiled you want them). Right after they finish cooking put the eggs in an ice water bath for 15 minutes. You can crack them up a little before you put them in the cold water if you like. After chilling them, I like to crack the shells up a bunch to make it easier to peel them. It was sooooooooo much easier to get under the membrane and peel those eggs. I didn't loose a bit of the whites when I was peeling them.
I'll have to give it a try. Basically you are just letting water in between the membrane and shell. I usually just use old eggs and then air does the same thing since the egg has lost humidity. But it would be nice to use my nice fresh eggs.

I bet a push pin would work.

Quote:
My broodies all got tired of the babies after two weeks and went back to the roosts with the others. The babies couldn't get up there, so they slept on the floor. I took them in and finished the brooding inside under a lamp.
I keep a close eye on Broodie HEn hoping for a repeat year, but this time I'm putting the eggs under her, No mutt chicks this year when she can raise some good speckled sussex and BO for me.

What patience to carve this peice of beauty.

THis will give me nightmares!!
ep.gif

I'll have to give it a try. Basically you are just letting water in between the membrane and shell. I usually just use old eggs and then air does the same thing since the egg has lost humidity. But it would be nice to use my nice fresh eggs.

I bet a push pin would work.
Yes and yes
thumbsup.gif

hey all,

just got 2 little royal palm turkeys outta the shell and under the brooder light. fingers crossed that I can raise them without too much problem.....
fl.gif

this is the 1st time for me hatching turkeys. I do have them in with 3 newly hatched chicks.... i'm hoping the chicks will help show the turkeys how to eat and drink (although I've done this, the chicks may remind the turkeys of this).

fl.gif

don

Quote:

lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
Thanks
hugs.gif
but I was getting the frowny face from DH last night, so I'm not going to push my luck. (He still has to build all the brooders and coops for the ones we currently have cooking.
jumpy.gif
) I better quit while I'm ahead.
Good time to learn how to use a drill, screw, hammer nails and a skill saw! Needing a rabbit hutch as a kid got me into power tools. . . I like the light weight battery powered electric tools myself. Takes a patient tutor to show you the basics of safety and skills and off you go. DH bought a rough saw blade for the sawsall-- I can cut down little trees with it!! I don't have to wait for the chainsaw anymore!! Honestly I only do rough work, no fine carpentry skills here. Enough to help build our house though.

Back
Top Bottom