Cinco-de-Mayo Hatch-A-Long celebration!

Pics
Meet Mutt and Jeff.
OilWXVyHu_M7mDjt4457SJVmB-pbiKWsyPrltESaJGNoV-DTukUq7v1q6a8F9eJldcCCwZ-NJaYa1K94hqGxpVkjVe97vioO0Br1mEvs3ef-Uce5E2EUouAJQv-VsvtSrMHZdsYB5r-WlGSsGl635yVYTx1CmFLWpGi4jTAjolOiOh_TkzOA1_fsn17yUIq30_4C4l0NxLDsWAi0gGxcZQnsueGpapmNKwHEsOUDtLkVAf5EFeH0hfdD5diNwMR7TM0t06axgrITRfbWh0X3WfrXu_2Nyn4oBMrh9N7RDzwFBP4VBkfYPmx72HFBniJI5HXNt2t5BmVfEM_2dDHcMLFToIaPcJ4hU_X754x6c8IzGpLfzYbJKSkuzGtjsPfeAf9fFPIJz34zEwJFV2WwKpx50-T-5UbMydPfXefgD2snuBk2RuUmh8T6g_7ursF5BVcxLCh2kZZf6WxN1PfkS6FpKymBzASZ-joG22QIjQDT05ma8tt5jWUc5LDuE0TLhPxEhno2B_virZDbh_6a86c1a8PWta_RGpOu1DFdbfzk-NvM0Mw-0U5OUK-gU6kyWB-p1H_eZHqrlfKAFihOKMsM6_qI8Ja-4qo3HWCZYycpuDuiNJvLs9FzuuyC1kRY9nF2CHmPdzk2qn6YNMk8vBT2klJO9NsGKusFjNiuHnRfbpjdmdl_w1lbtc8ENvffDYHdAYWiFwh7RimTIIN83-nJClFU8iVxxfxZlP7jNs9AD2kiMj1DYzdczodiAN5k0r-Tdtc14qxzdzcgLtSpS88zUIXRHhBV22M06qEUrT9-QY35tLJaluByzSU1liJu3AcboKfkmRI7zhqjn66hA9HGm572sHAC3pwhqIJFYDdvkI9cbGTkKLdZAjrapuvhg7DG3LBRXIQLQU9jH9IYWcklAjYOBFHw7qTTPXXFYuIlHXOg=w1185-h990-s-no

These are the last two chicks of my "Dumpling" group that had trouble hatching yesterday, and had to have a full assist. They had externally pipped on schedule, but after 24 hours of no progress, I started the assist over a period of the next 12-14 hours a little at a time. It was a difficult hatch, and although they had absorbed all the yolk and were ready to come out of the shell, they still bled quite a lot (from the membrane) before hatching was complete. Then I left them in the cleaned incubator and I went to bed at 2am, not really expecting them to survive the night.

This morning, surprisingly, they were still alive - but lying on their backs and unable to stand. I started dosing with Poly-ViSol (no iron) infant vitamin formula every few hours to give them the B -vitamins in particular, but also A, D, E, and selenium. They would not eat or drink, so I made a "soup" of cooked egg, chick starter, and sugar water with electrolytes. I've fed this with a medicine dropper. They are now chirping and lively, but still unable to stand upright for more than a minute or so, nor keep from falling over.
(A healthy chick will instantly roll over and right itself when placed on its back, or when it falls over.)

This video is their progress 14 hours after hatch, and after three doses of Poly-ViSol and one feeding of "chick soup." I'll post another update tomorrow of their progress, or demise, whichever happens.

Good luck with your chicks… I’m thinking I may end up with some that need tending if they hatch because these last few eggs are really lagging behind.

.....These last two looked ready, pipped more than 24 hours ago, making no progress, and were both starting to shrinkwrap. So I started to assist. I unzipped the shell partway around, applied coconut oil, didn't see vessels --- then one tiny tug on the membrane and they bled. One of them quite badly :fl. Held a bit of paper towel on the wound and slight pressure for a bit and I think it stopped - externally, at least. I dunno, they don't look good but they are still peeping and breathing, so far.

.....It was a difficult hatch, and although they had absorbed all the yolk and were ready to come out of the shell, they still bled quite a lot (from the membrane) before hatching was complete. Then I left them in the cleaned incubator and I went to bed at 2am, not really expecting them to survive the night.

This morning, surprisingly, they were still alive - but lying on their backs and unable to stand. I started dosing with Poly-ViSol (no iron) infant vitamin formula every few hours to give them the B -vitamins in particular, but also A, D, E, and selenium. They would not eat or drink, so I made a "soup" of cooked egg, chick starter, and sugar water with electrolytes. I've fed this with a medicine dropper. They are now chirping and lively, but still unable to stand upright for more than a minute or so, nor keep from falling over.
(A healthy chick will instantly roll over and right itself when placed on its back, or when it falls over.)

We culled Mutt and Jeff this afternoon. They were not improving. Lively, alert, pooping, and eating whatever I forced into them with a medicine dropper - but still falling over to their right sides, and onto their backs. Their legs were strong, so it wasn't a matter of weakness. I'd tried confining them into a teacup, but they forced their way out. Just .... balance and coordination wasn't there.

Also, I believe they might have been blind. They kept the right eyes closed most of the time, and did not respond to any visual stimuli to either eye. At feeding, they refused to even look at chick feed at their feet or in a dish, or held in front of their eyes, and did not startle when I tried silently. They startled to vibration and noise, though.

BUT... Once I got a drop of water or vitamin into their beaks, they came alive and stretched their necks up, opening and closing the beak, exactly like a baby robin would do. They willingly sought water from the tip of the dropper, so I knew they could drink. I gave drops of the "chick soup" into their beaks, and they took that, too - just like a baby robin, but nothing like a chicken. Crops would fill somewhat, they'd fall asleep, and I put them back into the brooder laying on their bellies. Check again later, and they're on their backs again, kicking and squirming.

So.... decision was made to humanely cull them in light of:
* Inability to seek food and water on their own,
* not showing any progress with coordination,
* possibility of blindness,
* likelihood of falling behind their flockmates in growth, and
* my unwillingness to tend to special needs chicks possibly for the rest of their lives, or facing the decision to cull after I'd already become quite emotionally attached.

(Posting full information for the benefit of future readers who might find this helpful.)

We culled Mutt and Jeff this afternoon. They were not improving. Lively, alert, pooping, and eating whatever I forced into them with a medicine dropper - but still falling over to their right sides, and onto their backs. Their legs were strong, so it wasn't a matter of weakness. I'd tried confining them into a teacup, but they forced their way out. Just .... balance and coordination wasn't there.

Also, I believe they might have been blind. They kept the right eyes closed most of the time, and did not respond to any visual stimuli to either eye. At feeding, they refused to even look at chick feed at their feet or in a dish, or held in front of their eyes, and did not startle when I tried silently. They startled to vibration and noise, though.

BUT... Once I got a drop of water or vitamin into their beaks, they came alive and stretched their necks up, opening and closing the beak, exactly like a baby robin would do. They willingly sought water from the tip of the dropper, so I knew they could drink. I gave drops of the "chick soup" into their beaks, and they took that, too - just like a baby robin, but nothing like a chicken. Crops would fill somewhat, they'd fall asleep, and I put them back into the brooder laying on their bellies. Check again later, and they're on their backs again, kicking and squirming.

* my unwillingness to tend to special needs chicks possibly for the rest of their lives, or facing the decision to cull after I'd already become quite emotionally attached.

(Posting full information for the benefit of future readers who might find this helpful.)
A tough decision, but one I can respect. I had to do the same with a Welsh Harlequin duck I'd hatched, although I'd waited several months and had become *very* attached to her. Most difficult cull ever. :(

I think this is important to share also, in case someone is unsure whether to assist in a hatch. I have assisted 3 times. One was a lot of assistance, and the chick was not able to walk and ended up passing a few days later. The other two were partial assists in that I just helped about half the zip. Both were born with sticky stuff and shell stuck to them, but ended up ok. After the experiences, I wont do a full assist again. It was much harder for me to lose a fully hatched chick than one that would have been DIS. Thank you for your experience, it affirms in my mind that I can’t handle full assists as I don’t want to have to cull a chick unnecessarily. ❤️

Sorry they didn’t improve. It sounds like you made the right choice. I did end up with one from my late hatching eggs that is behaving similarly to your chicks. I’m giving vitamin e & poultry cell but I don’t expect it will turn around. There are always ones that surprise me though so I do try and give a chance. For instance i had one from a march hatch that was back flopping with a majorly twisted neck that I thought was a goner. I gave it e and poultry cell and the next day it was 100% fine!

I think this is important to share also, in case someone is unsure whether to assist in a hatch. I have assisted 3 times. One was a lot of assistance, and the chick was not able to walk and ended up passing a few days later. The other two were partial assists in that I just helped about half the zip. Both were born with sticky stuff and shell stuck to them, but ended up ok. After the experiences, I wont do a full assist again. It was much harder for me to lose a fully hatched chick than one that would have been DIS. Thank you for your experience, it affirms in my mind that I can’t handle full assists as I don’t want to have to cull a chick unnecessarily. ❤️
I agree it is harder to loose them after they’ve hatched. 😭

So sorry. :hugs But thanks for sharing.

Sorry they didn’t improve. It sounds like you made the right choice. I did end up with one from my late hatching eggs that is behaving similarly to your chicks. I’m giving vitamin e & poultry cell but I don’t expect it will turn around. There are always ones that surprise me though so I do try and give a chance. For instance i had one from a march hatch that was back flopping with a majorly twisted neck that I thought was a goner. I gave it e and poultry cell and the next day it was 100% fine!
It's a different, and difficult, decision for everyone. If they had improved by today (48 hours after hatch, 72 hours after they were supposed to hatch), I'd have kept them of course.

I had one a couple of months ago that had one leg out to the side, like spraddle leg but it was only one leg. He was flopping. I dosed with the PolyViSol and the next day there was visible improvement, but not yet 100%. I then did the teacup method and more vitamins, and the following day you wouldn't know he'd had anything wrong at all. Fully recovered.

See, as long as they show improvement quickly, I think there's a chance they'll be alright. But if no improvement after a day or two, the prognosis is very poor.

Each person has to decide for themselves when it's the right time to let go, and help them to let go.

It's a different, and difficult, decision for everyone. If they had improved by today (48 hours after hatch, 72 hours after they were supposed to hatch), I'd have kept them of course.

I had one a couple of months ago that had one leg out to the side, like spraddle leg but it was only one leg. He was flopping. I dosed with the PolyViSol and the next day there was visible improvement, but not yet 100%. I then did the teacup method and more vitamins, and the following day you wouldn't know he'd had anything wrong at all. Fully recovered.

See, as long as they show improvement quickly, I think there's a chance they'll be alright. But if no improvement after a day or two, the prognosis is very poor.

Each person has to decide for themselves when it's the right time to let go, and help them to let go.
This is well said. Those decisions are the hard part of hatching chicks.

Back
Top Bottom