Second level, increase square footage?

If I have multiple levels in my coop, do each of the levels add to the square footage of the coop? For example a 5' x 5' coop would have a square footage of 25 sq. ft., but if there were an interior platform (obviously comforably accessible to the chickens) inside running the length of one wall that was, say, 2' x 5', would the square footage of the coop then be 35 sq. ft. (25 sq. ft. on the floor and 10 sq. ft. on the second level) even though the actual footprint of the coop hasn't changed?
The chickens do use the extra space, but I feel that it isn't quite as good as having more space on the main floor level. There is also the possibility that the floor may be less useful where it is underneath that platform, because it is shaded and less attractive. The higher the platform, the more attractive the space underneath. But in a coop that small, it will be difficult for a chicken to get down safely from a high platform, because chickens like to fly down at an angle, and don't like to run into a wall when they are doing it.

I would probably figure that adding 10 square feet of platform is about as useful as adding 5 square foot of actual floor.

You might be able to put the feed & water up on the platform, which would free up more of the floor and also help keep bedding out of the feed and water. (Possible disadvantage: easier for one bully to keep the others away, so they can't eat & drink.)

Back
Top Bottom