New Coop Ventilation Question

You can put a link to your coop page into your profile too. :)

We have always found it worthwhile to use top-quality primer as a means of saving paint.

But for sheds, coops, etc. I like barn paint, which is formulated for use on unprimed, rough wood.

This.

It's good to remember that the Usual Guidelines are usually considered *minimums*.

The more space you can give your birds the more flexibility you have and the more resilience you have in the system to cope with the unforeseen.

If you could extrapolate on how to put my coop write up in my profile I'd be forever grateful. :)

Also as far as the paint, thats exactly what we used, "barn paint" with built in primer.

I'm telling you T111 just soaks up whatever you put on it.

For those reading, plan of several initial coats and regular re-coats every year.

If you could extrapolate on how to put my coop write up in my profile I'd be forever grateful. :)

Also as far as the paint, thats exactly what we used, "barn paint" with built in primer.

I'm telling you T111 just soaks up whatever you put on it.

For those reading, plan of several initial coats and regular re-coats every year.

If you go to your "account details" and scroll down you'll find a line that says "my coop". You can put the link to your coop page there.

I'm amazed that even barn paint didn't overcome the T111! Barn paint normally has incredible coverage capability.

You can put a link to your coop page into your profile too. :)

We have always found it worthwhile to use top-quality primer as a means of saving paint.

But for sheds, coops, etc. I like barn paint, which is formulated for use on unprimed, rough wood.

This.

It's good to remember that the Usual Guidelines are usually considered *minimums*.

The more space you can give your birds the more flexibility you have and the more resilience you have in the system to cope with the unforeseen.

Edit, asked and answered.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. I appreciate all the information. I of course have seen your input on a lot of other posts I've referenced and it's helped me figure this all out :) I'm looking forward to the weather turning so I can start building.

One other question I had was in regards to the door side of the coop, into the run. Would the hens prefer to have it completely enclosed so it feels more comfy and less open? Or would it be helpful to have some extra ventilation/airflow and pretty much leave it open with some hardware cloth. We were considering at least covering the bottom couple feet so we could put the small run door in there and so the bedding doesn't get kicked out, but unsure if the rest should be enclosed up to the height of the other siding, while leaving that triangle section open up top.
Regarding the “door side of the coop”, if I’m reading this right then it faces west. Perhaps one of the windows you mentioned could be used there. Four of the coops I built have windows, two have sliding doors over hardware cloth (open for ventilation in summer) and three have no windows. I believe the coops with windows allow the chickens to settle in to roost more easily at night due to more ambient light. Your plan sounds pretty solid to me…

I apologize to everyone for not responding as it seems the email notifications I receive when I got updates have stopped. Thank you to all who have given me advice. My plan now is a 6x6 coop with a 10x6 run. I can't really make it bigger than that where I'm at. There are regulations in place for how far away from lot lines I have to be and away from neighboring houses. I also have plenty of other stuff on my property, mainly fruit trees, raspberries, a deck, raised garden beds, garden shed, playground, etc. And I still want to have plenty of yard space for kids to run around and play and to be able to throw a football/baseball/frisbee around.

I fully understand the limitations this might provide and so I'll just monitor the chickens as they get bigger and determine if I need to make any changes later and either stay at 4 or 5 instead of going to 6 or whatever.

I also bought a nice window on clearance that's like 32" x 40" or something, single hung, exterior storm window. I plan on installing that on the south facing side to allow for extra light and to leave open as much as possible when the weather is nice. My biggest question mark I have right now is the door into the coop. Should I leave it completely open, just with hardware cloth, or should I make it solid with some siding on the outside, or a bit of both with the top open and the bottom covered? Unsure if the chickens want to feel completely closed in when they're in the coop or if the openness of hardware cloth covered door would make them feel less confined? I know traditionally chickens just roost in trees and so they're in the open but hidden amongst the leaves and branches.

Thanks again everyone for the input. Lots of handy information on this site.

My biggest question mark I have right now is the door into the coop. Should I leave it completely open, just with hardware cloth, or should I make it solid with some siding on the outside, or a bit of both with the top open and the bottom covered?
Is this the human access door or the pop door? Pop door should be solid for security reasons. Human door you could possibly go either way though in a colder climate you'd want to make sure there's a way to cover up any large open ventilation in a door, either with plywood that screws into the wire or plastic sheeting with magnets, etc.

Is this the human access door or the pop door? Pop door should be solid for security reasons. Human door you could possibly go either way though in a colder climate you'd want to make sure there's a way to cover up any large open ventilation in a door, either with plywood that screws into the wire or plastic sheeting with magnets, etc.
Asking about the human door. I have 2 of them, one to the run and one to the coop. The small chicken door I plan on installing in an opening in the siding with an electric/automatic opener.

I'm asking because I can make myself a door with 2x4s and just frame it out and use hardware cloth to cover and then either enclose the bottom half with siding or leave it open. Or I've found some solid doors for around $35 from Menards clearance or I'm sure the Restore stores have some available and I could just use those and not worry about making myself something. If I wanted ventilation in the door I could always cut out a square on the top half. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well just make myself a door.

Back
Top Bottom