New Coop Ventilation Question

Asking about the human door. I have 2 of them, one to the run and one to the coop. The small chicken door I plan on installing in an opening in the siding with an electric/automatic opener.

I'm asking because I can make myself a door with 2x4s and just frame it out and use hardware cloth to cover and then either enclose the bottom half with siding or leave it open. Or I've found some solid doors for around $35 from Menards clearance or I'm sure the Restore stores have some available and I could just use those and not worry about making myself something. If I wanted ventilation in the door I could always cut out a square on the top half. But if I'm going to do that, I might as well just make myself a door.
I think the optimal scenario would be to give yourself the option of ventilation in the door (so like an open square in the top half) for summer heat, but having removable panels that can be placed back in during the colder parts of winter if it's needed.

Not sure if making your own or altering a pre-existing door is cheaper or easier, but I don't see why either wouldn't work in this case.

I think the optimal scenario would be to give yourself the option of ventilation in the door (so like an open square in the top half) for summer heat, but having removable panels that can be placed back in during the colder parts of winter if it's needed.

Not sure if making your own or altering a pre-existing door is cheaper or easier, but I don't see why either wouldn't work in this case.
Alright, cool. I was leaning that way too. Probably just make myself a door out of 2x4 framing and then cover in hardware cloth. And then I can take some small squares of OSB/siding and screw to the bottom/top when necessary since it will be a wooden frame.

I'm asking because I can make myself a door with 2x4s and just frame it out and use hardware cloth to cover and then either enclose the bottom half with siding or leave it open.

Making removable panels for flexibility is highly desirable.

Use bolts with wingnuts rather than screws to attach them so that you don't end up with a bunch of stripped-out screw holes chewing up the wood over time. :)

Back
Top Bottom