Secret coop

I know this is not what you want to hear, but just as the others have mentioned, hens can be noise. I have 3 or 4 in my flock that think they need to sing (loudly), every time they lay an egg. You might see if your neighbor would be agreeable to you having them, with the understanding, if they are a disturbance to them, you would promptly be rid of them. Then be sure your neighbor gets a weekly supplement of fresh eggs.
I think i will take quail eggs over to my neighbor this week..m i brought her fresh baked bread last week. So maybe she will be up for talking.... If i get her ok, we are good to go. So i guess i will have to be brave!
The last time i quickly mentioned wanting chickens was at the beginning of quarentine in March and she mentioned how her and "her husband do not go anywhere anymore and didnt want to listen to chickens out their back door".. so i wonder if things have changed at all for them now. We will see..

Some chickens are pretty quiet, but it's really on an individual basis, and you won't find out which ones those are until they're adults.

Their egg song and a few other louder sounds (like a squawk of alarm) will easily carry over 80 feet. I'm on 4 acres and neighbors are on 2 each, and I can hear my birds on the road two houses away.

Back
Top Bottom