Seeking Advice on Choosing My First Flock

Kyleecleveland

In the Brooder
Aug 20, 2020
California
Hello there!
As a complete novice to the wonderful world of backyard chickens I am seeking advice from this fantastic community to guide me in my selection of my first flock. Here is a list of the factors to consider for your breed suggestions:
  • I live in Southern California
  • I have young children
  • I have limited space
  • I would need a “quiet” breed since I would like to be a good neighbor
  • I would think of my chickens as egg-producing pets
  • I do not plan on culling my chickens for meat
  • I am a complete novice
With those factors considered, what are your chicken breed recommendations? I’ve done some research and the silkie breed seems like a good option. Please pass along any advice!

Thank you in advance!

Hello there!
As a complete novice to the wonderful world of backyard chickens I am seeking advice from this fantastic community to guide me in my selection of my first flock. Here is a list of the factors to consider for your breed suggestions:
  • I have young children
  • I have limited space
  • I am a complete novice
With those factors considered, what are your chicken breed recommendations? I’ve done some research and the silkie breed seems like a good option. Please pass along any advice!

Thank you in advance!
I would definitely recommend Barred Rock Hens. They are very docile, great with kids, great egg producers, they lay brown eggs, they are quite easily sexed. I would just recommend getting them used to human touch and being held. Good Luck with your new flock of chickens 😊

Hello there!
  • I have young children
  • I have limited space
  • I am a complete novice

Thank you in advance!

how young are your children? they might hurt chickens no matter what breed.

with limited space bantams or small breeds are better choice. silkies are a good option but hens only. any roo would make a noise. you will not get many eggs from silkies. it seems that bantam sussex are egg champion among bantams but I don't know if that is available in you area. plymouth rock bantam, EE or ameraucana LF/bantam, brahma bantam, etc. are good layers as well. (EE and ameraucanas are small enough for a limited space, you don't need a bantam variety as their eggs are smaller than of the other breeds.)

good luck!

Bantams are great and a lot cheaper to feed than large, heavy breeds. They are a great size for children too as large breeds used to being handfed treats can peck at you hard. The d'Uccles bantams are beautiful, docile, sweet and pretty good in the egg laying department. Silkies will be broody a lot of the time meaning they won't be laying for you, but rather sitting on a nest waiting for something to hatch.

As others have said bantams are a good choice for a small space. Australorp bantams are slightly larger than silkies or Wyandotte bantams & lay a good sized brown egg. Aracaunas aren't a big bird, don't eat an awful lot & lay a nice medium sized blue egg. BRs are lovely but they are a big dual purpose bird & while they lay a large brown egg they also eat a lot. I have had Australorp & Wyandotte bantams in with standard birds & they have always been friendly as well as good layers that do well in a mixed flock.

Back
Top Bottom