seeking constructive critiques of my new chicken coop build

Oh sure, make 90% of it THEN ask us to tell you what all is wrong with it.
lol.png

Sheepshank - how many people are not sailors and will be trying to figure out what sheep have to do with a piece of rope on your chicken coop??
big_smile.png

Looks like you spent a lot of time thinking it through, good. Great re-purposing of the used cat litter bins. And having the ability to close them off until the girls are old enough to use them is great. You don't want the little ones thinking they are sleeping spots. Good "clean out" doors and the ability to both hold litter in when the door is open AND full open for cleaning. Some people don't think about such things.

Stairs, not ramp. Good choice. You might need a small ramp with cleats over the steps when they are too young to hop/flap/fly up but later it would just be a poop collector.

You asked, right?
wink.png

OK, maybe it is just me, but WHERE ARE THE GLASS (or Plexiglass) WINDOWS??? Unless you are going to throw the chickens out at daybreak EVERY DAY, no weekends off, no going out for the day, they will want more natural light inside than the single "we can see inside" window will give. There is nothing interesting to look at inside, especially in the dark (they aren't cats and see VERY POORLY in the dark) let them have a view of the world. The windows don't have to be operable or you could replace the 2nd door with a window that swings up/out for cleaning. Even better if it is a 2 part - one a 1/2" hardware cloth screen in a frame you can secure in place (but removable for cleaning inside) and the other a window that swings out or up for ventilation. Then you could use it for: cleaning if necessary, a screen in decent weather and a window in bad weather.

I don't think you need to put anything on the lower opening part of the door. They won't be spraying poop all over the place.

Coop is ~4x6?? 8 standard chickens? Plus more? Take a look at the meat chickens in production environments. Cheek by jowl. Your chickens aren't little plastic things that stand still all day long, I see an ell in your coop's future even with 8.

Do NOT put a roost over another roost. You'll have poopie chickens. Chickens are not very discriminating with regard to their toilet habits. Roosts should be ~18" apart horizontally so the girls in the back can't pick on those in the front.

As visually interesting as your roost is, it is too small in diameter for adult birds. Plus, they CAN perch but they aren't songbirds. They spend most of their time on flat ground, not gripping tree branches. 2x4 on the flat or 3" round fence rail will be more comfortable for them.

Being angled into the corner as it is makes a good part of it unusable. The birds aren't going to squish their butts up into the corner. Figure you need 9" minimum both in front of and behind the roost.

For real, I think you only have room for two 4' roosts one on either side of the clean out doors. It is OK to have one secured over the chicken door. They won't be sitting on the roost during the times they are using the door. That makes it an 8 bird coop ABSOLUTE MAX.

I couldn't tell from the video but is there any possibility of a small weasel getting in under the corrugated roof and into the coop? They don't need much of a hole. They won't eat your chickens, they'll just bleed them. Dead just the same. If so, I'd put 1/2 hardware cloth under the rafters.

Oh, and not specified, but you DID use either poultry staples or screws through wood battens to secure the 1/2" hardware cloth, not "Arrow" type staples, right?

If you didn't catch it ... that is 1/2" wire
wink.png
wink.png

Bruce

thanks for the feedback. those are great points.

as a matter of fact i filmed that video between thunderstorms and i was very happy that there was no rain getting in. but i will look at that area and see if i need to do something.

on the treated wood...you are totally right that it will also eventually rot. but we have some treated wood in the ground here thats been there on to 10 years with no signs of failure so im willing to accept those stats. and i thought about going with cypress wood but its so expensive.

Bruce, thanks for a great critique.

youve got me really rethinking my roosts. you may see some major changes in the next vid.

again, thanks. i really appreciate all this. i got to digest all this....

I think its very well thought out! Love the repurposed kitty litter buckets. Very smart. I think my biggest suggestion would be a larger window as well. Chickens really love light and have a hard time seeing in the dark. So, that's my two cents! lol

im really getting a consensus on more windows/light/ventilation and to rethink the roosts. wow. thanks for this input!

thanks again for all the comments!

so I stopped at lowes on the way home from work. they have the blackjack 57 but only in 5 gallon buckets for 44 dollars. the manager said he cant get it in anything smaller so im tending away from that. I can do the linoleum for 25.

and I just went out and measured my screened area. according to this story https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...-go-out-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop
I need at least 1 sq foot of venting for every 10 sq feet of floor space. if I am reading that right then I am just about good. I figure I have 3.2 sq. foot or so of vent right now. so do I have almost enough vent or not?

im not trying to argue...im just really one who likes to look at things from all sides and make a plan.

Each coop has its own airflow depending on size, shape, vents and position on your land. The only way you'll really know if you have enough is when you actually put it to use and see how your coop environment reacts to your stocking rate, the weathers in all seasons, and your bedding choices. There is no set "ventilation per square foot" rule, just like there is no real chickens per square foot rule. All of that depends on many factors.

For newbies I always advise to err on too much ventilation as opposed to too little. Same with the stocking rate, start low and slow....because usually, when you first find out you have too many birds or too little ventilation, it's in the middle of severe weather and your birds are either sick due to the situation or your coop is having some serious ammonia issues. None of which are a good time to realize you either need to lose some birds and/or open up some holes.

ok, folks, ive gotten a lot of good points. so today I converted my 5 by 8 plexiglass window to a hardare cloth (half inch) window. i also am adding 4 more vent windows. im adding a piece of weather strip to the nest box. ive taken out the limbs (sniff) and will put in 2 by4 roosts. I am sticking with the linoleum because I cant get a small container of the blackjack. I will post a new vid when I get it all done. thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom