Seizing baby chick

Mbasler

Hatching
Feb 26, 2023
I have a Black Jersey Giant baby chick that I got yesterday from a local farm supply store (suspected to be 1-2 weeks old). She keeps getting these attacks/spells where she will fall over and cheep loudly and her feet/legs twitch and her neck is tense/twisty. This happened about 10 times in one hour when we first brought her home yesterday and again last night about 10 times in one hour. She was fine in between: normal/slightly solid poops, eating chick feed and drinking water with ACV well, active and chipper. After the second round of spells I started giving her vit B (nutritional yeast flakes) vit E (8 drops) and cream (bc I’m out of plain yogurt) with a bit of applesauce. She ate a little over 1 tsp last night and again this morning. Is there anything else I can do for her? Is there any reason to think she is a danger to the other 9 birds (mixed breed; same age) we brought home at the same time? We tried sectioning the tote off so the sick(?) one could be isolated but she jumped out of the box to snuggle the others, so I left her with the flock.

Attachments

• 918A5DD3-F1CB-4A7A-BC8A-F8DCD60755DC.jpeg
    918A5DD3-F1CB-4A7A-BC8A-F8DCD60755DC.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 13
It sounds like a vitamin E deficiency. Increase the vitamin E to 500mg if you can. Give with finely minced hard boiled egg. Do this every day until the symptoms stop.

Yogurt is not the same as cream. Cream is hard to digest and has no nutritional value.

It sounds like a vitamin E deficiency. Increase the vitamin E to 500mg if you can. Give with finely minced hard boiled egg. Do this every day until the symptoms stop.

Yogurt is not the same as cream. Cream is hard to digest and has no nutritional value.
Okay great thanks! I will for sure! I didn’t think cream and yogurt were the same but the only yogurt I had was vanilla with artificial sugar so I thought cream would be better than that. I’ll get plain yogurt today.

Back
Top Bottom