Self cleaning wading pool for hot chickens

odchooks

Songster
Dec 14, 2020
Hi all,
I finally figured out a cheap easy solution for my small backyard flock of chickens to deal with Texas heat wave without having to hose out wading pool several times a day. I use a large terracotta dish- better than plastic because it sweats water through the clay and this keeps the water relatively cool. It’s also heavy so they are less likely to knock it over. It can also be elevated on a cinder block or inverted terra-cotta pot so they don’t fill it up with debris.

I put a hose on an auto timer and attach a dribbler to the end. I run the auto timer several times a day for five or so minutes. The dribbler is suspended above the dish on a stake or fencing. The dribbler creates a gentle water fall several times a day that does not alarm the chickens and flushes out poop and debris and refreshes the hot water with fresh cool water.

I have two set up in their favorite shady spots that are favored during different times of day ( in the run and in a chicken tunnel).. My chickens are standing in it all day long during the heat. I can finally leave for a weekend without having someone come by my house several times a day, or having Chickens standing in and drinking filthy water. Here is the set up in my chicken tunnel.. simple. Hope it’s helpful to someone else.

With enough plant shade and tunnels that allow chickens to track moving shade throughout the day it’s enough even in this nonstop Texas heat. I dont give frozen food or ice bottles because I believe they are safer if their bodies acclimate to the heat with plant shade and water to cool their feet.. Only in sudden heat would I provide artificial cooling with ice.. When it’s really hot they crouch with bellies in the water. No heat issues at all this summer- or last 4, despite heatwaves - but plant shade is critical. Cana lilies grow and spread fast and have been great shade around my tunnels.

I am almost embarrassed that this automated wading pool solution is so simple. Why did it take me 4 years to figure this out?

759DF386-2C77-4408-9CF6-E7031F574D19.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all,
I finally figured out a cheap easy solution for my small backyard flock of chickens to deal with Texas heat wave without having to hose out wading pool several times a day. I use a large terracotta dish- better than plastic because it sweats water through the clay and this keeps the water relatively cool. It’s also heavy so they are less likely to knock it over. It can also be elevated on a cinder block or inverted terra-cotta pot so they don’t fill it up with debris.

I put a hose on an auto timer and attach a dribbler to the end. I run the auto timer several times a day for five or so minutes. The dribbler is suspended above the dish on a stake or fencing. The dribbler creates a gentle water fall several times a day that does not alarm the chickens and flushes out poop and debris and refreshes the hot water with fresh cool water.

I have two set up in their favorite shady spots that are favored during different times of day ( in the run and in a chicken tunnel).. My chickens are standing in it all day long during the heat. I can finally leave for a weekend without having someone come by my house several times a day, or having Chickens standing in and drinking filthy water. Here is the set up in my chicken tunnel.. simple. Hope it’s helpful to someone else.

With enough plant shade and tunnels that allow chickens to track moving shade throughout the day it’s enough even in this nonstop Texas heat. I dont give frozen food or ice bottles because I believe they are safer if their bodies acclimate to the heat with plant shade and water to cool their feet.. Only in sudden heat would I provide artificial cooling with ice.. When it’s really hot they crouch with bellies in the water. No heat issues at all this summer- or last 4, despite heatwaves - but plant shade is critical. Cana lilies grow and spread fast and have been great shade around my tunnels.

I am almost embarrassed that this automated wading pool solution is so simple. Why did it take me 4 years to figure this out?

View attachment 3585036
That’s brilliant!

The pullets seen here with their bellies pressed in the water in the terra cotta wading pool in their run on a 100 degree day. They sometimes just perch on the edge on the cool wet terra cotta. This one I elevated because I use leaf litter in the run and so it would fill up with debris on the ground. I couldn’t fit a hose in through the fencing so for the automatic refill/clean out I used tubing attached to a hose connector- also on a timer. It takes longer to clean the pool than the bubbler but works.

Attachments

• 10BB9689-A293-4848-9A53-00C846837947.jpeg
    10BB9689-A293-4848-9A53-00C846837947.jpeg
    891.6 KB · Views: 80
Hi all,

Aside from the great idea on the wading pool, I am intrigued by your tunnels. Do you have other photos of them and could you share what purpose they serve? We are in AZ heat, so share the extreme climate. I've been considering adding a 2nd run and am toying with the idea of a tunnel to connect them.

Back
Top Bottom