Self cleaning wading pool for hot chickens

My tunnels are kind of overgrown with vegetation, but that keeps them cool, so I haven’t cut it back. It makes it difficult to see but here are some pictures of the tunnels. You can see where it’s attached to the automatic door to the run and to a sand pit that is covered in the black shade cloth. It runs the length of our fence and turns a corner but you can’t see it because I have plants in front of all of it. so they have a lot of room to range and forage bugs but the backyard still looks nice. They spend most of their time in the tunnels despite the beautiful run my husband made for them.
Thank you for posting the pics! It's so helpful to see photos. Love the run you have too! All that greenery has me pining for it. We aren't native to the Phoenix area but as much as I love it, I do miss the green. 🌳

I agree- I think if it’s too deep, they won’t go into it. My pans are very shallow so they can press their bellies in it if they want or they can just stand and get their feet wet.
Agreed. My pan has a mere 2" lip. I tried an experiment the other day...

I put some water in the pan (barely enough to cover the bottom) but purposely left out the blocks. They normally love their 'pool' but they would not go in. (except for my 2 young babies-- they were willing to go in) I left it that way for the day and none of the others would go in. So the blocks, apparently, make all the difference.

Attachments

• 20230622_094709.jpg
    20230622_094709.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230717_sharing the pool.jpg
    20230717_sharing the pool.jpg
    512.8 KB · Views: 10

I put some water in the pan (barely enough to cover the bottom) but purposely left out the blocks. They normally love their 'pool' but they would not go in. (except for my 2 young babies-- they were willing to go in) I left it that way for the day and none of the others would go in. So the blocks, apparently, make all the difference.
I think I’ll give this a try

is that a water heater overflow pan you are using? I may try this again with one of those if so as I can't find anything very shallow in my area.

Hi all,
I finally figured out a cheap easy solution for my small backyard flock of chickens to deal with Texas heat wave without having to hose out wading pool several times a day. I use a large terracotta dish- better than plastic because it sweats water through the clay and this keeps the water relatively cool. It’s also heavy so they are less likely to knock it over. It can also be elevated on a cinder block or inverted terra-cotta pot so they don’t fill it up with debris.

I put a hose on an auto timer and attach a dribbler to the end. I run the auto timer several times a day for five or so minutes. The dribbler is suspended above the dish on a stake or fencing. The dribbler creates a gentle water fall several times a day that does not alarm the chickens and flushes out poop and debris and refreshes the hot water with fresh cool water.

I have two set up in their favorite shady spots that are favored during different times of day ( in the run and in a chicken tunnel).. My chickens are standing in it all day long during the heat. I can finally leave for a weekend without having someone come by my house several times a day, or having Chickens standing in and drinking filthy water. Here is the set up in my chicken tunnel.. simple. Hope it’s helpful to someone else.

With enough plant shade and tunnels that allow chickens to track moving shade throughout the day it’s enough even in this nonstop Texas heat. I dont give frozen food or ice bottles because I believe they are safer if their bodies acclimate to the heat with plant shade and water to cool their feet.. Only in sudden heat would I provide artificial cooling with ice.. When it’s really hot they crouch with bellies in the water. No heat issues at all this summer- or last 4, despite heatwaves - but plant shade is critical. Cana lilies grow and spread fast and have been great shade around my tunnels.

I am almost embarrassed that this automated wading pool solution is so simple. Why did it take me 4 years to figure this out?

View attachment 3585036

I have six ladies in Mesa Arizona and since we don’t have a swamp cooler or misting system for them near the coop, we froze, partial water bottles and put them out on the hottest days. Also, we have plastic containers we fill with freshwater that they can wade in. And best of all! We started making chick-sickles for them. In plastic containers, we froze fruits, vegetables, spices and meal worms, and let the chickens have fun with them on the hottest days! If you’re in the Phoenix and surrounding areas, you know, we had the hardest summer on record. And our flat toughed it out successfully! Hope that helps!

my chickens are 8 weeks old. We are in NJ where temps were close to 97 today. They are in a run that has a tarp over, and when we put our hands in, its def cooler than being in the sun. BUT, i want to cool them down and yet they would not want to get mist on them, they didn't want anything to do with the frozen peas and corn in a plate of water, they don't seem to be into scraps either. what should I do? do you think as they get older, they will enjoy these things? They do have access to two water feeders at opposite ends of the run. Tomorrow I'll have my girls refill a few more times to keep the water from warming too quickly.

It's frequently 105-108 here and I don't do frozen stuff ever. I personally think they acclimate better without it .but ill give some watermelon occasionally. I think all chickens like watermelon

Back
Top Bottom