Super hot - walking in mud

MarlaMac

Songster
Aug 14, 2022
Central Texas
It has been super hot here in central Texas. Today was 107 degrees; which is better than it has been b/c the humidity was relatively low (18%). It will be above 103 for the next 10 day forecast at least.

My flock free ranges, so they find shade - mostly under our front deck until around 6 when they move around back to the freshly watered lawn. Momma and her 8, five week only chicks stay close to the run which is shaded.

I keep their water cool and in the shade at all times - I literally change their water every 2.5 to 3 hours and keep bottles of ice in their waterers, I wet their feed with icy water - which the love, and I give them watermelon in the heat of the day to help keep them hydrated. I also run a fan under the deck to keep the air moving. The run where momma and babies are is in the open space and their is usually a good breeze - although with the heat it just feels like an oven. I do put frozen gallon jugs for them to lay close to.

I started turning on a small sprinkler when the shade from the coop reaches a good portion of the area to the east of the coop/run. When I do this everyone comes to stand around in the water/mud/wet field grass to cool off.

My question is this: with them all standing/pecking around in the mud should I be worried about their feet? Is there things I need to watch out for because they are getting them wet/muddy? My chickens usually have very clean feet so it seems weird to me to see them all with muddy feet. Once the are out of the mud it dries up pretty quickly.

On another note, this heat can really cook an egg. We found one outside in the sand - I am sure b/c the girl didn't want to go into the lay boxes b/c of the heat. When we cracked it open, the white was partially cooked. It may have been in the sand for a couple of days before we saw it and collected it. Needless to say, I am being a little more diligent about making the lay boxes a little cooler and collecting the eggs in a more timely fashion. Good news is I am still getting 8 eggs a day out of 9 active layers.

Last year I was watering some areas in my chicken yard almost every day to cool them down. They really liked to walk on the fresh watered grass and dirt. However, I started having bumble foot problems. My vet told me that keeping the chickens feet wet would cause that. This year, I am still watering although I don't do it every day and just enough water to dampen the surface which will get dried soon enough. It is such a relief to them to cool their feet somehow that I am willing to keep doing the watering. Unfortunately we still have a long way to go before temps start coming down :barnie

Last year I was watering some areas in my chicken yard almost every day to cool them down. They really liked to walk on the fresh watered grass and dirt. However, I started having bumble foot problems. My vet told me that keeping the chickens feet wet would cause that. This year, I am still watering although I don't do it every day and just enough water to dampen the surface which will get dried soon enough. It is such a relief to them to cool their feet somehow that I am willing to keep doing the watering. Unfortunately we still have a long way to go before temps start coming down :barnie
Thank you for this information. This is what I was afraid of. Such a quandary. I keep looking at the forecast for some much needed relief....ugh.

Thank you for this information. This is what I was afraid of. Such a quandary. I keep looking at the forecast for some much needed relief....ugh.
Wet conditions can increase bumblefoot but by itself it's not the only cause, or else people who live in wetter climates would constantly have bumblefoot woes.

I figure the temporary pay off of letting them cool off a bit is still more beneficial in your situation since heat is a far bigger problem right now.

Wet conditions can increase bumblefoot but by itself it's not the only cause, or else people who live in wetter climates would constantly have bumblefoot woes.

I figure the temporary pay off of letting them cool off a bit is still more beneficial in your situation since heat is a far bigger problem right now.
It also dries pretty readily when the go to roost at night. I will continue to allow a time of cool off before bed. Thank you.

I totally agree with you. I am willing to risk bumble foot and letting them cool off on the clay trays. They seem to really like them and it is amazing how cool the water keeps. They don't spend but few moments stepping in the trays and then they go out to the shady areas. This heat is not letting off and it seems to be here for a long time, after all we are only in the middle of summer!:idunno

Back
Top Bottom