Sell me on a breed of chicken in as few words as possible.

I just got some Australorp chicks and I'm super excited for them. I was torn between them or barred rocks. Have you had barred rocks that you could compare Australorps to? It seems like they're pretty equivalent in egg laying abilities? How do they differ in personality?
My barred rocks are less personable than my australorps. My two australorp girls have been my favs since I got them as chicks. Much more confident in themselves, curious, and beautiful when the sun hits them and their feathers change colors! My barred rocks don't mind me, but I don't have near as a bond with them as I do my australorps. My australorps have a better personality too!

Appenzeller Spitzhaubens—quirky, cute and curious
DE061D04-F759-4712-849C-A72475FADD36.jpeg

I just got some Australorp chicks and I'm super excited for them. I was torn between them or barred rocks. Have you had barred rocks that you could compare Australorps to? It seems like they're pretty equivalent in egg laying abilities? How do they differ in personality?
I had one Barred Rock and one Australorp. Australorp was gentle, earnest, didn’t mind being handled at all. Low in the pecking order. Barred Rock was bossy, top of the pecking order, friendly to people. Both were good layers.

Every time I see my light sussex, this plays in my head. I adore how soft and fluffy they are. I don't think I can ever not have one. Wondering if others have a super short summary of certain breeds in their heads like I do, lol.
I'm just dumb enough and inexperienced to answer your challenge. I'm a first time owner of now 1 week old chicks. 2 are Easter Eggers and 2 more are Barred Rocks. I guess it all depends on what you like. The Easters apparently leg different colored eggs, while the Rocks lay large brown eggs, and are supposedly very gentle. Right now, these little buggers are pushing each other around, and flapping their wings! So, take your pick, but I think they're BOTH VERY cute, so far. :)

Back
Top Bottom