Sellers Who Use Paypal

AbedsAviary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Halifax, Va.
For all you sellers who accept PayPal please read this.

I have used PayPal for over 8 years, I have received and sent thousands of $$$ over the years. I have never had a problem until last week. I accepted a deposit of over $200 for birds that a guy was to pick up. He picked them up and paid the rest in cash when he came. This was over a month ago. Last Friday i got an email from PayPal saying that this transaction was being reviewed and that the money was on hold. I called PayPal right away to find out what is going on. They said that the buyer put a claim against me and that said the payment was unauthorized. They said they have 10 days to review the claim and that if they find it to be unauthorized they would send the money back to the buyer. They also said the only thing i could do was to provide a tracking # and that if i could not do that then more than likely the money would go back to the buyer because i did not qualify for the seller protection plan. Since he picked the birds up in person i dont have a tracking #. So now i am stuck and i am most likely going to loose the money and the birds. The claim is not closed yet, it has another 7 days. If PayPal sides with the buyer i am taking both PayPal and the buyer to small claims court. Has anyone had this happen? Is there anything else i can do? I am
somad.gif
and i cant believe they can do this!

The PayPal seller protection plan only covers sellers who ship items and that can provide a tracking number and send the item to the buyers address that is on PayPal. So anyone who accepts PayPal for anything being picked up can get screwed over by PayPal. I learned my lesson and i will no longer accept PayPal for anything, even if its being shipped. I will be closing my account as soon as the 7 days is up no matter which way they go.

I've heard of this happening to a lot of sellers... its a shame. Sorry your getting jipped..
And yeah.. why cant you try to sue them? You never know... it might work out for you!

Im not sure that is paypals fault. The buyer is claiming they did not get there product? If you had a receipt where they signed that they got the birds I'm sure they would side with you. They may still anyway but its your word or theres.

So sorry you are having this trouble. Have you tried contacting your buyer? Perhaps he doesn't remember what he purchased and therefore contested it. It is good that you have reminded everyone who uses PayPal to NEVER accept it for pickup. That should be cash or money order ONLY. As you said, PayPal has protections that are supposed to help both seller and buyer on purchases. On one side, the seller has avenues against people taking their money and never providing the product and on the other side, the seller has protection from buyers that receive product and say it never arrived.

I consider it both PayPal's fault and the buyers fault. PayPal advertises that it is a safe secure way of getting paid and to pay people, well after this they are not. The buyer is not claiming that he did not get the item. He is claiming that someone else sent me the payment from his account. This is why i dont understand why PayPal needs tracking #s. The same guy sent me 2 other payments before this one, they were also towards the total amount he owed. He is not disputing those just this one. I have proof that he was here and got the birds, i also have emails he sent after he picked them up asking questions about them and asking about other birds i had for sale but PayPal wont listen to anything i have to say, all they want is tracking numbers. He was even going to buy more from me and he sent me a 4th payment of $150, he sent it as an e-check and i wouldn't let him pick up the second group of birds until the e-check cleared and the e-check bounced and since then i have not had any contact with this guy. I think he got mad i wouldn't let him come pick the second group up until the e-check cleared and is just trying to get back at me. He doesn't return calls or emails anymore. I sent him a registered letter today.

I would definitely sue the guy and bring all the documents, including text messages and copies of e-mails stating that he wants to buy your birds and that he will be picking them up in person. I think you have a good case. Also, give a copy of those e-mails, etc, as proof to Paypal, too. However, if he provided you with an address, good luck serving him with the court papers as I would doubt that it was his real address.

The e-check bouncing is great evidence against him, too.

Last edited:
If they side with the buyer i will sue the buyer. I am going to contact a lawyer and if i have a case against PayPal too i will sue them. Its only $225 so its not like its going to make me or break me but its just the point.

You may want to report it to the police, as well. If the buyer is deliberately trying to commit fraud, it may be a crime, not just a civil matter.

Imp- Good luck

Quote:
X2 I would do this now. It will help with establishing that you have a case. Often until it is reported to the police as fraud, there is often nothing anyone will be able to do or help you with.

Back
Top Bottom