Sellers Who Use Paypal

Quote:
If the shoe were on the other foot so to speak you would be doing the happy dance that your protected. I imagine the rules are posted for those who want to know how to protect themselves on transactions. Just because you did not know does not make it Pay Pals fault and they did not screw you. The buyer knows how to work the system and is using it on you. Place the blame where it belongs seller/purchaser and not Pay Pal. Be mad at yourself for not being an aware seller and him for being a turd buyer.

Quote:
Ive only used it as a buyer so far put this page may be interesting reading.
http://checkout.google.com/support/sell/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=165604

It covers how Google handles chargebacks.

Thanks for posting the link. I am going to look into it.

I think its great for PayPal to cover buyers. Yes i was dumb for not paying attention to what the rules they had. They advertise that they are a safe secure way to get paid so that's what i thought. In all the years i have used PayPal i never knew i was not covered on some of my transactions. I just think they need to make it more clear if they are not going to cover there all their sellers transactions. After all they do take their part of every payment i received even the ones they dont back.

Sorry I have only used it on ebay. I have never really liked any bank having the ability to take or in this case decide a legal case for me. The guy made payment and it should be up to YOU if he gets a refund at least it used to be that way. This does sound like a scammer though.

I never thought of that. Seems the guy is conning her. Pay pal allows people to abuse the system. Its not right. Do not let him pick up other birds. In fact i would refuse to do business with him. Good luck

This is a standard scam now. It happens a lot on Ebay, but it can happen anywhere PayPal is used.

I had over 10,000 feedbacks on Ebay, was on there for a decade. My membership predated Ebay's purchase of PayPal, and heard the horror stories early on. I held out, never got a PayPal account, and was grandfathered in - Ebay wasn't happy about it, but nothing they could do.

I got rid of my account in disgust in 2008 due to Ebay getting even worse, feedback became asymmetrical, plus of course the endless raises in fees. No matter how they slice it and dice it, they'll get a third. You have to take this into account.

I'm considering setting up a PayPal now, to sell stuff on Etsy. Since my things are going to be $10 or so, I doubt I'll get this scam very much, but sad to say I'll get it a few times - it's happening to everyone now. It's like the Nigerian scams in the early 1990s.

Or the scams from Britain in the mid-1990s.

Or the fake bank account info email scam in the late 1990s.

Or the .... you get the idea.

My PREFERRED method of doing business is cash, face to face. Right now I work awfully hard to make on average $10 a day, if I can do that or better without the hassles of the Internet and all the modern evils, I'll do it. To me it's like this -

Real life: Exchange thing X for cash Y, shake hands, and walk away

Online: Take pictures of Thing X, write a good description, list list list, 3rd time it's listed it sells, 50% chance the buyer follows through ... list again. Nudge 2nd buyer. Finally they pay, answer 2-3 emails while object is on its way, buyer raises a stink saying it arrived broken - remind buyer it was shipped insured and to take it up with UPS (you know it's not broken, you pack things for an Apollo mission). Exchange feedback, each wary of the other like two fencers squaring off. Congratulations! You sold that old lamp for $30, and only spent $27 to do it!

PayPal tries to act like a bank but they are not one. The guy made the payment and the guy came and picked them up and i have proof he came and picked them up but they wont listen. I think this guy has figured out how to use the system and PayPal needs to fix it. I'm sure there are more people doing the same thing.

Quote:
For now i will only be taking payments cash or money order. If people dont like it they dont have to buy anything from me. I am done with PayPal. I may try Google checkout in the future. Sometimes it almost not worth it to sell anything or try to make a dollar for all the hassle and trouble you have to go through.

I sell log truck loads of firewood logs in one of my businesses and I instruct the driver to collect the money before unloading. People will ask me how many cords I am selling them and I have learned to tell them they are buying A LOAD of firewood logs up to weight or height which ever comes first. You have to be specific about everything these days and leave no wiggle room.

I'm so extremely leery of this.... but I WILL set up a PayPal and an Etsy account, if I can sell a few things and it perks along, making me $10 a day, that's a huge boost to me.

But I'll still drop it like a hot potato if I can make it in face to face sales. I have a face to face business in mind that I intend to give a decent wringing-out this year during the warm 6 months, so this year I'll know if it's a go.

One thing about losing everything and living on 5% of what you used to make is, life becomes very seasonal. Work for 6 months, hunker in the bunker for 6. It could be worse!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom