Selling eggs

iam4hymn

Chirping
Jun 21, 2015
Georgia
Do you sell your eggs? How much do you sell a dozen for and what state are you located? Also, how much are you buying a 50lb bag of your favorite feed for? Thanks!

I have just begun selling my eggs (following months of giving them away - dead clever eh?) and sell for the equivalent of $2.40 per dozen here in Nairobi. Ditto with Debby, it just about squeezes my feed bill to zero (and it will once my pullets get their finger out!).

CT

Guess one my young girls read my post - she laid her first egg
celebrate.gif

CT

Though I'm not that far from Spartan22, It's tough to get $2.25 a dozen here. Not sure why, when they are so much more at the stores.  I live not to far from Meyer's and pay $10.49 for #50 of layer crumbles, but the drive to get it would raise that cost if added in. It's a nice ride though!!!

I plan on hitting a few farmer markets this summer and see what happen with a higher price.

Perceptions about eggs and poultry, I believe has a lot to do with it. Supermarkets around us sell brown and/or organic eggs from 3.77-4.50 a doz. Big movement of healthy living affects that market on able to trust what they advertised (healthy claims). My work place of 200++ people, I know there are at least 6-7 that are chicken keepers and they sell theirs for $2.50/doz and there are couple more that just gives away their eggs.

I think we just got lucky or just accidentally hit the right market. We didn't intend to sell, but last late spring we hosted a cook out and some friends wanted to see our garden shed most didn't know we have chickens since the runs looks like a greenhouse and the front has vegetables & flowers. Gave some people a tour (so to speak), they were impressed when we told them we don't use meds, hormones & pesticide on our veg/ herb garden that we feed them and we don't wash our eggs and no refrigerations and they were not farm raise but backyard raised. Big difference we give each hens personal attentions tho they don't have names as pets.
We gained 6 weekly customers out of that and they told their friends, that all wanted some eggs too but we had to decline w/ the promise that they will have occasional overflow since we only get 6-8 doz weekly. We have 3 families on standby in case we have extras, therefore supply & demand pricing. Even though I pointed them to get eggs from some people I know that sell 2.50/doz. much lower than ours.
We ordered 15 more chicks to come this week, since we will be retiring our 21 month old next fall (they will be 27-28 months).
Sorry this got so long
1f61b.png

Last edited:
Well good for you. I can't promise to much yet with only 14 girls laying right now. Once the rest start though I will be pretty good on supplying a good amount per week.

I think also one of my problems is, with in a 3 mile radius, there are at least 4 other folks that advertise eggs for sale. I personally am not going to put a sign in my front yard for several reasons.

Once all the girls start laying my daughter has 8 dozen a week sold for me already. right now she sells 4 to 5 every other week. The odd week goes to family and bartering for straw and hay.

I was going to sell eggs for 2.25 but I am looking to sell hatching fertile eggs I am in Pennsylvania and I usually pay 17-22 dollars for it but I found it over at a mill for 13.97 for a 50 pound bag

Here in Texas in the suburbs of Houston I sell my eggs for 2.50 a dozen. At the local feed stores I pay about $13 for a 50 lb bag of laying pellets. I sell enough eggs that it covers the cost of my feed and mine & my families eggs are free.

I have 16 laying hens of 7 different breeds for a colorful egg basket. I do not advertise or sell at the local farmers market, I just put a sign in my front yard & at the end of my street.

I attended the SAWG conference in Lexington, KY over the weekend. One of the speakers was from the Nashville, TN area. He told us that he sells his organic eggs for NINE DOLLARS a dozen. He sells his spent hens for SEVEN DOLLARS a POUND! All I have to say is he must be a great salesman.

I'm near Lafayette, IN. $3 a dozen is top dollar for eggs, organic or not. Many people in my area keep a small home flock, so the demand isn't that high.

My friend that spends $23 for a 50 lb. bag for organic feed can't get more than $3 a dozen. I pay around $15 a bag for regular feed, but will be going to non GMO this spring. (in bulk)

I sell my eggs for $3 a dozen here in north FL. I get their laying crumbles for about $14 for a 50 pound bag.

I have just begun selling my eggs (following months of giving them away - dead clever eh?) and sell for the equivalent of $2.40 per dozen here in Nairobi. Ditto with Debby, it just about squeezes my feed bill to zero (and it will once my pullets get their finger out!).

CT

Back
Top Bottom