Selling Quail eggs

Yeah sounds good, I have yet to call around here to find restaurants to buy eggs, I have only 9 females that are laying age, I have 23 ( I think ) younger ones that are not sexed and should be laying soon, various ages so 2-6 weeks average till they are sexed and laying hopefully. When I get to where I get at least a dozen eggs a day I will begin making calls. I have been moving my birds around fairly often so they keep going on egg strike, its weird because one day I will get four eggs then I will go a few days with no eggs at all so I cant really make any plans with anyone.

I do sell eggs to people through craigslist, most of them have been wanting to hatch eggs so that is also an option for you, I sell my hatching eggs for only $3 a dozen currently but when I get more of my reds and tuxedos established I will be raising that to probably $5 a dozen

I will also be ordering some jumbo brown and texas A&M soon, then I will be selling more birds to people that want to process them for themselves

Quote:
Thanks for your response.. AFAIK, gamebird's eggs are not regulated around here.. I did look into it. No contracts have been signed yet and they understand that it will likely be March or April until I'm able to sell to them. I was really just asking around to gauge interest when I picked up my order at an asian restaurant a few weeks ago and the owner was very excited about it. It seems, after a few phone calls, that the quail egg market supply around here is non-existent and they look forward to getting some eggs delivered fresh. The whole quail are for their personal consumption, for now. If I sell the dressed quail , I will need to get some paperwork together. As of now I have standing orders for 6 dozen eggs/week and have 25 females and 5 males(all young adults) to be shipped soon.. I hope that's enough to get me started. I'll update when things get going.

you may want to let them know it is a really seasonal thing too I sell a few to takeouts here it is a presentation kina thing when they sell a plate of food they put a coupla hard boiled quail eggs with it and their customers talk about them to other folks

Selling eggs and quail to the restaurant market is increasing in some areas. What kind of paperwork is it you'll need in your town or from the province?

Quote:
this may depend on geography the big shiny restaurants at the mall pro bally do all sorts of paper work but the takeouts in the"hood " I live in do not seem to do as much paperwork LOL

Quote:
this may depend on geography the big shiny restaurants at the mall pro bally do all sorts of paper work but the takeouts in the"hood " I live in do not seem to do as much paperwork LOL

i am a chef by career, i work at a private community, and my chef and myself have been talking about getting fresh product from local farmers. of course the fact that i raise quail has always come out, about bringing eggs/birds in and the like.

the way our insurance is i was told, as long as the/a company doesnt deliver it to the back down, or come in the community at all, you can use it. Basically, if the chef went and picked it up outside the gates and brought it in, its fine(not sure about laws on this as i haven't looked them up, i'm talking about my resturant alone).

as far as price, i sell pickled eggs at $5 a jar if the jar is returned(like sold to a friend or someone i know) or $6 you keep the jar. i havn't sold just eggs, but i already have another chef friend of mine wanting to buy all he can for .50c each. Live birds i sell for $3 males, $5 females(egg layers) and dressed for $6, and i have plenty of people knocking on the door tobuy at those prices.

Quote:

i am a chef by career, i work at a private community, and my chef and myself have been talking about getting fresh product from local farmers. of course the fact that i raise quail has always come out, about bringing eggs/birds in and the like.

the way our insurance is i was told, as long as the/a company doesnt deliver it to the back down, or come in the community at all, you can use it. Basically, if the chef went and picked it up outside the gates and brought it in, its fine(not sure about laws on this as i haven't looked them up, i'm talking about my resturant alone).

as far as price, i sell pickled eggs at $5 a jar if the jar is returned(like sold to a friend or someone i know) or $6 you keep the jar. i havn't sold just eggs, but i already have another chef friend of mine wanting to buy all he can for .50c each. Live birds i sell for $3 males, $5 females(egg layers) and dressed for $6, and i have plenty of people knocking on the door tobuy at those prices.

Thats Awesome!! Thanks for your input..

Hi... I'm wondering what, if any license do or did you need to sell your quail eggs to restaurants... I have a French restaurant interested in buying from me, but want to do everything legally. If you could possibly give me some insight on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You....

Hi... I'm wondering what, if any license do or did you need to sell your quail eggs to restaurants... I have a French restaurant interested in buying from me, but want to do everything legally. If you could possibly give me some insight on this subject, it would be greatly appreciated!! Thank You....

I think you will find that it varies from state to state. Give your Department of Agriculture a call and ask or contact your local cooperative extension.

Back
Top Bottom