Separating New Chicks From Different Hatcheries

Cool Chicky

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2023
Assuming I need to isolate ducklings purchased from Hatchery from ducklings hatched myself… how long should I do this for? 🤔 It would be so much easier to just have them in one brooder as they are the same age. Khaki Campbells, Welsh Harlequin, a couple call ducks, and a pair of Buff Goslings. 💓

I would not worry about isolating baby chicks. Chicks usually do not come pre-loaded with different diseases.
Quarantine is usually reserved for larger birds, that may have been exposed to other grown birds, and contract something unwanted. Also from unknown sources.
Hatcheries do practice good husbandry around their birds for sale. Otherwise they would be out of business quite quick. :old
All things are of course possible,, and even with your best quarantine efforts, things (diseases) can develop well past the quarantine period.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

I only separate hatchery chicks for a few days just in case I lose any, then I can call and let them know for refund purposes. Once the window closes, they all get mixed together. Last year I had a group from McM, a group from Ideal, & some hatches. Kept them in 3 small brooders for 2 days then they got mixed in 2 large ones (keepers vs ones not keeping).

Back
Top Bottom