September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

I came outside today no Sophie no chicks. My dh says I think I saw her by the barn?! I went looking and found her teaching them how to dust bathe by the garage. It was cute to watch. An incubator doesn't show you these things. :)

Here they are

I read an article on how to sex chicks on feathering. Once they are one week old you can start to see the differences between pullets and cockeral. I'll share it in a min but it seems pretty accurate. Accordkng.to this method I have one pullet and one Cockereal.

Hey everyone well today I picked up my chicks from Faraday40 (on the Illinois thread) and I am super excited to see how they grow up. I got two that should be first generation EEs(their mother being ccl/father being a pure 50% english black/lavender split orp) *NOTE: Does anyone know if that means he could have passed on a hidden lavender gene?*
We also got three pure black(as I said I dont know if they could habe gotten a lavender gene)50% English orps in the mix as both parents were non related 50% English
-there were four of these chicks but one was killed a couple days ago by a predator
The last chick's mother is an all white hen that lays pinkish eggs every day this chick may be all white but could also have little black spots in its down. Can't wait to find out how they all turn out. All the chicks have the same black orp Daddy. Will post pics later

@csaylorchickens
I think I'll try that way of sexing and see how it goes. They're a week old should it work?

Last edited:
Lavender is a recessive gene that requires two copies to be present for it to express. If the father is carrying a lavender gene, he will pass it to some of his chicks, but there will be no way of knowing which chicks have the gene and which chicks don't. If you really want to know which ones are carrying Lavender, you can breed them back to their father and see which pullets' eggs produce the lavender. But that would require some serious attention to detail.

Hey everyone well today I picked up my chicks from Faraday40 (on the Illinois thread) and I am super excited to see how they grow up. I got two that should be first generation EEs(their mother being ccl/father being a pure 50% english black/lavender split orp) *NOTE: Does anyone know if that means he could have passed on a hidden lavender gene?*
We also got three pure black(as I said I dont know if they could habe gotten a lavender gene)50% English orps in the mix as both parents were non related 50% English
-there were four of these chicks but one was killed a couple days ago by a predator
The last chick's mother is an all white hen that lays pinkish eggs every day this chick may be all white but could also have little black spots in its down. Can't wait to find out how they all turn out. All the chicks have the same black orp Daddy. Will post pics later

@csaylorchickens
I think I'll try that way of sexing and see how it goes. They're a week old should it work?

The pics in the article are 11 days old. I'm already seeing the more prominent feathers on one of the chicks on her legs, tail, wings etc. The rooster doesn't has as many father's and the legs aren't filled in that much at all. I will let you know how it goes. They are lavendar Cochins.

I have lavenders one male one female (I think) I hatched them from shipped eggs. She should have started laying already but haven't. So maybe shes just a quiet Roo lol.

I have lavenders one male one female (I think) I hatched them from shipped eggs. She should have started laying already but haven't. So maybe shes just a quiet Roo lol.
LOL...Sometimes it can be hard to tell with a new breed. I still have silkies who are not laying and they are 10 months old~

Back
Top Bottom