September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

Wow I can't imagine doing shipped eggs. It's already such a challenge getting my crappy incubator to work properly.
For those of you running 99 degrees is that with a fan? I'm at 101.5 to 102 because it's still air. Is that correct?

I was shipped 12 SQ Sicilian Buttercup eggs last Saturday. They arrived in really rough shape many are porous, three shattered, lots of broken and/or rolling air cells some of the air cells have since reattached some mostly reattached. Most of the air cells have at least gone back together into one bubble. They were set Sunday and candled today before I went into lockdown on two black oegb eggs I have. Some appear to have very early development but I don't expect much at this point, or at all from these poor abused eggs. The seller is also shipping me replacement eggs free of charge will let everyone know how they arrive. Should be receiving 10 Buttercups and two partridge rocks tomorrow or the next day(Friday) Saturday at the latest.

This is my second hatch but my first staggered hatch. I'm hoping that because the eggs are far apart in days and bc the buttercups are porous it wont negatively affect them. There are only two oegb eggs I'm hoping they hatch quickly.

My first hatch had some problems with sticky chick and membranes drying so the chicks had trouble zipping and we lost two I saved one and as they were shipped eggs we also lost 3 other chicks that never pipped. All in the wrong position but absorbed egg yolks.

As such I do plan on helping if necessary. However I'm hoping I have a better idea and hatch now. We'll see in a few days as the oegb were alive and well at last candle.

Temps have been pretty steady at 99.5-100 did spike briefly Sunday to 101 for maybe a minute. Humidity has been running between 32-42% but is currently raised for lockdown on the oegb. It was 65% when last I checked.

Please keep us posted! That sounds exciting. I'm happy to hear that she is replacing eggs. How frustrating. I applaud you for using shipped eggs.

I may ask for help from you. I have an egg that pipped yesterday. It's still moving, but nothing more since that first pip.

Wow I can't imagine doing shipped eggs. It's already such a challenge getting my crappy incubator to work properly.
For those of you running 99 degrees is that with a fan? I'm at 101.5 to 102 because it's still air. Is that correct?
I have a still air and currently at 99.5-101, but my humidity is higher because I have a chick that's pipping (long story). Lol I hope it doesn't affect my other eggs due to hatch in September.

I have some BCMs, Olive & Easter Egger, and Ameruacanas set to go into lockdown on the 1st. Couple Blue Orps set to go into lockdown the following week.

Found a few local sources (silkies and rainbow mix for my layer flock) and I'll be going with those and yard eggs for most of Sept.

I always have staggered hatches but I use two incubators, one for hatching. My hatcher is still air and I keep it at 102. Hoping to get a fan in it by the time the Sept eggs are ready for lockdown.

Last edited:
@tiffmw10
Well thank you for the compliment. To be honest idk how much help I can be I learned most everything I know from reading threads on here and searching elsewhere. I will tell you if you're sensitive and care about the chick its very emotional idk maybe it's just me but I was home alone so I was terrified and I had to just keep trying to breathe so I didn't start crying too hard to see.

I think the biggest thing I read was if you start to see brownish liquid claround or coming out of the peep hole the chick is already in distress and you may have lost it. It's really a now or never time. Idk I would recommend doing research if you're worried and if you do try to help go very very very slowly. Just know if the chick is in distress then theyre only chance is probably you so better to try and fail. On of the chicks I was trying to help died in my hand was peeping away, head uncovered nothing wrong then gone and it did not get cold. But it happens. To be honest I hoped it had gone to sleep I was in denial until my DH2B came home and gently took the egg still half containing that chick out and burried it sure it was dead. It doesn't make sense and maybe it sounds stuid.

Yes I have a fan and an auto turner. We have a styrobator from farm and fleet and though not the best model serves its purpose for us. I have had a really hard time finding a lot of the breeds we wanted so shipped eggs are a necessary evil lol. :) but I like the challenge

24 September eggs set :D Egg in bottom right corner fixed up with candle wax cuz some dufus.... oh that would be me dropped an egg on it and cracked it :-/ Gonna see if I can improve my hatch rate since these are shipped eggs I will be incubating them upright for the first 3 days and seeing if that makes a difference to my aircells and my hatch rate heres hoping good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
Got our replacement Buttercup eggs(10) and the two partridge rock eggs. All arrived intact some have damaged air cells some have loose air cells. Will be set tomorrow as long as the eggs in lockdown haven't pipped. As I will need to add water anyway. They will begin incubating in an egg carton until the oegb eggs hatch.

I have some BCMs, Olive & Easter Egger, and Ameruacanas set to go into lockdown on the 1st. Couple Blue Orps set to go into lockdown the following week.

Found a few local sources (silkies and rainbow mix for my layer flock) and I'll be going with those and yard eggs for most of Sept.

I always have staggered hatches but I use two incubators, one for hatching. My hatcher is still air and I keep it at 102. Hoping to get a fan in it by the time the Sept eggs are ready for lockdown.
ooh you have BCMs too! I have been reading up, so I guess they can be candled. Do you candle your BCMs? With what? How often? Every egg?

Back
Top Bottom