Serama Breeders Unite!

TroyerGal

Crowing
5 Years
Mar 17, 2016
The Coal State
How many of Y'all breed Serama chickens? I have about 80 eggs in the bator right now and I would like as much info and as many tips and stories you guys have :D I currently have a trio of adults, and I love them so far.

I only have a trio and they are only good for brooding I might try selling them as its not worth it now as I have a standard broody

I have 2 pens of seramas. One pen is primarily smooth, but carrying silkied genes. The other pen is mostly silkied, with a couple smooth girls. I've lost count of actually how many I have right now. 30ish I think lol. (5 new ones just hatched in the last couple of days, one egg left to go!)

Some are friendly, some are very skittish. Mine sleep outside, up on high perches in their run, even through winter. Most of my girls that are old enough have raised at least one brood. They wean their young within 5-6 weeks and are usually laying again by 7 weeks from hatch. All my boys get along together, well, that is the ones that were raised together. The girls rule and the boys do as they say! Lol. My oldest rooster has been extremely good with babies, and training the younger boys.

Oh, as far as hatching them....I normally give 24 hours from pip before assisting any other of my breeds, but seramas can be a little weaker, and I've started assisting them around 16-18 hours after pip now. Much more successful, and less DIS losses.

If i think of anything else useful, I'll be back! :D

I have 2 pens of seramas. One pen is primarily smooth, but carrying silkied genes. The other pen is mostly silkied, with a couple smooth girls. I've lost count of actually how many I have right now. 30ish I think lol. (5 new ones just hatched in the last couple of days, one egg left to go!)

Some are friendly, some are very skittish. Mine sleep outside, up on high perches in their run, even through winter. Most of my girls that are old enough have raised at least one brood. They wean their young within 5-6 weeks and are usually laying again by 7 weeks from hatch. All my boys get along together, well, that is the ones that were raised together. The girls rule and the boys do as they say! Lol. My oldest rooster has been extremely good with babies, and training the younger boys.

Oh, as far as hatching them....I normally give 24 hours from pip before assisting any other of my breeds, but seramas can be a little weaker, and I've started assisting them around 16-18 hours after pip now. Much more successful, and less DIS losses.

If i think of anything else useful, I'll be back! :D

Ive never had to help mine hatch in a bator or from a broody every egg hatches every time I stopped hatching them as I can't sell them no one buys them if your helping that many hatch then they are already weak and will always be weak

Ive never had to help mine hatch in a bator or from a broody every egg hatches every time I stopped hatching them as I can't sell them no one buys them if your helping that many hatch then they are already weak and will always be weak

I don't mean every egg is assisted. And it's my choice to assist or not.

Hey guys, can you help me decide for sure if this little serama is a boy or girl? It was sold to me as a pullet since at 3 weeks old since the boys of the group were obvious, with big pink combs but now this one is making me nervous. I got "her" for my lonely cockerel Simon. He/she is about 10 weeks old now and getting a little pink comb and wattles.

received_1463620650341574.jpeg
received_1463623373674635.jpeg

This is Simon and a hen that I picked up for him. She's rather big though so I'll probably breed them and grow out the babies and sell her.

20170902_155557.jpg

Hey guys, can you help me decide for sure if this little serama is a boy or girl? It was sold to me as a pullet since at 3 weeks old since the boys of the group were obvious, with big pink combs but now this one is making me nervous. I got "her" for my lonely cockerel Simon. He/she is about 10 weeks old now and getting a little pink comb and wattles.

View attachment 1140764 View attachment 1140765

This is Simon and a hen that I picked up for him. She's rather big though so I'll probably breed them and grow out the babies and sell her.

View attachment 1140766
Its a roo

Hi! Soon I'll be a "breeder" of Seramas me too! Next week I'll go to take a couple (or maybe a trio) from a good breeder. I can't wait to have these mini-chickens! :love

I'm up to 4 seramas now. They've been moved to their winter housing. It looks cramped in the pictures but it's a lot bigger than it looks (I was blocking half of it lol). The roo is Simon serama and he hatched from eggs from @SallySunshine. The two hens are twin sisters that were rescued from a bad situation. The little black one is Simba who is still young. I have 4 eggs in the bator now :)

received_1484758238227815.jpeg
received_1484759274894378.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom