Serama Hatch-A-Long!!

Good luck with the shipped eggs! Sounds like a good experiment! I think my bad luck with shipped eggs is because I don't have a great incubator. They certainly work for non shipped eggs though!

Your chicks are adorable! Such pretty colors!

I was playing musical chicks today and didn't get a photo. I put my tiniest chicks under my hen with the two she hatched and later found her pecking at them. I don't know what her problem is, she is the one who wanted to have more babies?!?

Thanks! I am a color addict in all aspects of my life so seramas are the perfect chicken for me.

I've stopped letting hens have chicks. I don't trust them. I think every time I've had a chick die (once they're out of the egg), it's been because a hen killed it. I've had them raise chicks up just fine too. But I'm a control freak so I just like to do it myself now.

Get some photos tomorrow! I need to see some cute mottled babies! :)

Do you break all your broodies? I loose some either way, but I don't have a shortage of chicks, so it works out. Mamas with babies are so adorable.

I have another mama who's eggs should hatch in a day or two. She is a very dedicated broody and does not appreciate me messing with her eggs. I should candle them now actually, I don't think I have at all. I hope they are fertile. They are all from a straight feather pen with great type, as I have hatched so many frizzles this year, I need some straight feathered birds to pair up with them!

Oh the color addiction is bad with Seramas. Every time you hatch a new color you have to keep it, and breed it... it's crazy.

I have a new guy who is a pretty blue with some barring and I have a frizzle who seems like a dark blue so of course I wonder what their babies might look like.

i agree, all the colors are so fun!

I had 2 broodies sitting together, they hatched 5 about 2 weeks ago. The broody that started the sitting first has now started running the other hen off, but she's still hanging around and helping guard the chicks.

another hatched all 6 of her eggs Monday. And she brought them out into the pen on Wednesday. So tiny. I'm getting a bunch of silkied ones now, had to make another pen for them. I can't wait till my little silkied boy starts mating the girls. 2 of the girls are already laying! Hurry up boy! Lol

Prissy with her 6, last 2 pics are the daddys
WP_20170719_17_33_40_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170719_17_19_36_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170719_17_19_20_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170718_19_41_36_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170719_07_01_35_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170719_06_59_17_Pro_LI.jpg

Hatching eggs are way too addictive. Truly. Like most, I hatched some of my own eggs to build my flock. And like most, I over hatched. LOL Then I wanted a few other things for my breeding pens so I bought hatching eggs twice. Now I've got so many chicks coming out of my ears I won't let myself hatch anymore of my own eggs this year. So now I am selling my eggs and hoping that they keep selling so I am not tempted.
It's fun to get eggs and see what birds from the other side of the country end up looking like. It's also a great way to diversify and mix things up. The down side is that they are often scrambled and/or don't develop. But still worth it to me to have something different to add to my flock :love

Hatching eggs are way too addictive. Truly. Like most, I hatched some of my own eggs to build my flock. And like most, I over hatched. LOL Then I wanted a few other things for my breeding pens so I bought hatching eggs twice. Now I've got so many chicks coming out of my ears I won't let myself hatch anymore of my own eggs this year. So now I am selling my eggs and hoping that they keep selling so I am not tempted.
It's fun to get eggs and see what birds from the other side of the country end up looking like. It's also a great way to diversify and mix things up. The down side is that they are often scrambled and/or don't develop. But still worth it to me to have something different to add to my flock :love

Maybe some day we can trade eggs :D

I made this hatch-a-long just because I am really obsessed with Serama right now and thought I would see if there are others hatching Serama who want to share about their hatches and obsess along with me!

I just had a broody hatch 7 chicks and I have a Serama trio that I have collected some eggs from and am going to test them out in the incubator. I would like to order some really nice eggs but thought I should try with my own eggs first. I set 11 eggs... 21 days for this batch will be August 1st. I am thinking about building a separate hatcher so I can do some staggered hatching.

I'm serama obsessed To! I could not find any nearby so i ordered shipped eggs. It has been really frustrating ,challenging ..mayb a bit costly. However..i have 11 chicks and a batch of eggs due to hatch this weekend. The best hatch I've had is from a seller on ebay ( unfinished furniture guy). I also found that keeping the eggs large end up in an egg tray and gently hand turning them worked best for me. I don't candle/handle them during incubation. Once they r ready 4 lockdown i candle them then. I use a hovabator1588 and brinsea. With the shipped eggs i haven't even gotton 50% hatch. I've also hatched shipped cemani and brahma eggs...and have gotton on average a 50% hatch or better.

Back
Top Bottom