Serama question

Litewings

Songster
11 Years
Oct 25, 2008
Summerfield, NC
OK Serama breeders, I've got a big question. To raise Seramas do I need to have a heated chicken coop? I live in Summerfield, North Carolina. (Just north of Greensboro, NC.) I love the appearance of these birds and they appear (from my reading) to have a great personality. But I don't want to put them into a situation where they cannot survive. If I tried to raise them in this area of North Carolina would I need to keep them in a heated area?
hmm.png

Litewings

Last edited:
Mine are outside in their own little unheated coop, but if the weather gets below freezing, I stick them in a cat carrier and bring them inside. I only have 3 though and they're very, very spoiled. I'm sure you'll get a lot of differing opinions.

I live in N GA and we had a horribly cold winter this year... That said, I don't heat my coops and nobody died. I live too far out and we loose power alot, didnt want them to get used to the warm and then have to go without it
sad.png
To me that would be a GIANT shock to their system. I do feel a little guilty as we did loose some tips of combs on some of the little guys, but no toes thankfully! They are in a nice coop that keeps the wind off them and they roost on 2x4s.

I live in mid Ohio, and it was stoopid cold this February! My coop/workshop is insulated, but their water still froze regularly. I did not provide extra heat in general, but the Seramas and other chicks enjoyed the "hot plates" I made for them!
31816_img_0252.jpg

Mine just survived weeks in the negatives including -20F. In an 8x8 coop with 1 single heat lamp bulb tied up high and they never roosted under so it only made a difference of about 3 degrees or less.

Back
Top Bottom