Serama's and Silkies

veggielizard

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 28, 2015
Looking to expand my flock with some smaller breeds. I wanted to make a chicken tractor with 4-6 hens. My daughter is in 4H and I think we have decided to try out some silkies and seramas. Has anyone mixed these two together? I know they are not very cold tolerant, we live near Seattle so doesn't get too cold most days. At what temp do they need a heat lamp? Also, anyone know of a local breeder? Last question - we are new to APA standards for showing- any direction you can give on what to look for/avoid in these breeds would be great! TIA

Hi!
frow.gif
I'm in the process of researching the serama breed as well. I'm NO expert for sure! I've been told that they don't care to be below 40 deg F and that gentle temperament is part of the breed standard. Sounds to me like a great breed for a 4-H project. Here's a link where I found a wealth of information.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=serama+
Keep me posted!

Thank you for the link! Still researching, but looks like the serama's might be a bit too aggressive to put with silkies? Need to go to a breeders show and ask some questions!

Back
Top Bottom