Set Eggs April 30th... Whose w/ me?

Did you perform a salt test on your hygrometer? Super easy to do and worth it. I personally run lower than 40% first 18 days. But if your air cells are on track do what you think. I find 30% is a good incubating RH.

How I perform a salt test:

Milk or juice cap full of salt. Add drops of water while tapping side until saturated. Pour off standing water.

Put hygrometer and cap of salt into a zip seal bag, sandwich or quart size are usually handy, and wait 4 to 6 hours. I provide small pillow of air.

Take note of your reading and subtract that from 75. A salt environment will be exactly 75% in normal home temperature.

Write your calibration number on a piece of tape and stick to incubator as a reminder of your RH reading adjustment.

EX: your reading is 82%. 75-82= -7. You'd always subtract 7 from your readings to be true RH.

Last edited:
My air wasnt turned on in house when Ieft for work because 56 outside. Got home and house was 84 inside and incubator was 101.7 . Any chance some will survive ? I will candle on Sunday (which I have never done before) - what should I look for ?
thanks

Right, still airs when measured at top level of eggs are best at 101.5F. That should result in 99.5F internal of egg. It's if the internal of egg gets to 103F or so the embryo dies. Can't remember the exact temp of that.

You usually never see fatalities until the internal temp is at 103+ for too long. I think your eggs will be fine! :)

How is everyones incubating going? I have 9 developing eggs at the moment. :)

Last edited:
How do you know if you have quitters? I have several eggs where I see the blood vessels but I don't see the 'dot' that is supposed to be the embryo. I do see it in some of the other eggs and I see movement. It is up near the air cell. The others do have darker 'blobs' in the middle of the egg...similar to the ones where I see movement.

Hatching in an incubator is so stressful...I like broody hens so much better :)

How do you know if you have quitters? I have several eggs where I see the blood vessels but I don't see the 'dot' that is supposed to be the embryo. I do see it in some of the other eggs and I see movement. It is up near the air cell. The others do have darker 'blobs' in the middle of the egg...similar to the ones where I see movement.

Hatching in an incubator is so stressful...I like broody hens so much better
smile.png
I usually won't call one a quitter until about day 14. I'm not concerned if I can't see the dot, but by day 14 development of a quitter will be obviously behind. I never toss anything until lockdown. I've never had a stinky egg, and if they are questionable I leave them in. Clears are tossed, blood rings are tossed, and cloudy eggs with only a vein or two are tossed

I set close to you...I set 42 chicken eggs on 4/28 and 44 turkey eggs on 4/30. I did first candle last night and pulled one EE that was clear.

Last edited:
I candled tonight with my new egg candler which i love. :) i can a lot more than when I used the old candler which was pretty much a regular flash light.
Majority of the 14 eggs i have left (our of 24) are fertile and saw the embryo moving around... awesome. I believe day 18 is May 18th. hehehe. That's one good thing about setting the last day of the month is that your days go by as the days doo. Day 1 = May 1st, Day 2 = May 2 etc...

Back
Top Bottom