Set eggs February 12th! Hatch a long with me!

I'm a little late, if its ok i'd like to join
frow.gif
I set 21 eggs today EE, Bared rock and white leghorns.
smile.png

I Love BR and EE's!! Very nice breeds
cool.png
Are they from shipped eggs?

I don't know anything about chicken genetics, but what about recessive genes for color? Like I have a white chick, but neither of the parents are white.

I am just now starting to get more curious about genetics but still know NOTHING about it! I have an interest but not a whole lot of time to research it....

I do know some things about genetics but nothing at all about chicken genetics. I just don't understand when people here are so sure about the colors just by the parents etc I see all the time people say " I am expecting so and so colors". Oh well, all I know is they all end up cute anyways
lol.png

On a different note, just checked the bator and it was spiked to 104. Ugh stupid thing. The 18 are still squiggling around, and the others are still looking the same-aka nothing. In my final hatch ratio I don't think I am going to include my Orps eggs considering she is a dud.. so I have 18/23 developping instead of out of 33..sounds better .
big_smile.png

Lol...
big_smile.png
Yep...sounds about right...they'll turn out "Cute and Fluffy!"..
Ugh...bator temp to 104? Mine is really hard to tell exactly what temp.I have a thermometer on the floor of the bator. I know, I know....but I keep it at about 100 and it's worked in the past.so my temps are not 100% accurate but I get a ballpark. Twice the temp has read 102 on the bottom of the bator and I just adjust it until it's back at 100 again.
I really can't complain, for an LG still air (49.95) it's hatched eggs for me! I keep looking into cabinet incubators on CL but everyone right now wants like 600 bucks for 'em. Sheesh! I thought CL was for cheaper items! I know a woman who got hers for 250 bucks and it holds like 350-400 eggs...can't remember what kind but she hatches everything in there...ducks,chicks,geese,turkeys...

Today is Day 8 for me. Started with 55 eggs. Down to 33, though I'm not really surprised by that.

None of the 8 eggs from my Blue Orp rooster's pen were fertile-fertility is in and out in there all the time, partly due to his age, partly due to his size, partly due to him not being that motivated in the first place, so not completely unexpected. Could be the next batch will all develop-that's the way it goes with Suede and his women. To hear tell it by Cetawin, it's just that his women are defective, LOL. I always set them anyway or give some to whatever broody I get.

Down from 13 Barred Rock eggs to 3, but again, fertility issue due to my Barred Rock rooster being gone for awhile before I began collecting eggs for myself. I guess fertility ran out sooner than I expected in there or he just wasn't mating them much that last couple of weeks. No biggie there, either, but would have been nice to have more fertile ones.

There were a couple of quitters removed from other breeds, a couple that I think may have quit, but we left in to recheck in a few days, but still, 33 eggs in the turner, no more need to double stack the eggs.

What is left in the bator:

15 Belgian D'Anver (removed one quitter, one on top that was jostled too much)
2 D'Anver x Lav Cochin
3 Delawegger (Del x EE, one possible quitter)
5 Delaware (one possible quitter)
5 Barred Easter Egger ( BR x EE)
3 Barred Plymouth Rock

Today is Day 8 for me. Started with 55 eggs. Down to 33, though I'm not really surprised by that.

None of the 8 eggs from my Blue Orp rooster's pen were fertile-fertility is in and out in there all the time, partly due to his age, partly due to his size, partly due to him not being that motivated in the first place, so not completely unexpected. Could be the next batch will all develop-that's the way it goes with Suede and his women. To hear tell it by Cetawin, it's just that his women are defective, LOL. I always set them anyway or give some to whatever broody I get.

Down from 13 Barred Rock eggs to 3, but again, fertility issue due to my Barred Rock rooster being gone for awhile before I began collecting eggs for myself. I guess fertility ran out sooner than I expected in there or he just wasn't mating them much that last couple of weeks. No biggie there, either, but would have been nice to have more fertile ones.

There were a couple of quitters removed from other breeds, a couple that I think may have quit, but we left in to recheck in a few days, but still, 33 eggs in the turner, no more need to double stack the eggs.

What is left in the bator:

15 Belgian D'Anver (removed one quitter, one on top that was jostled too much)
2 D'Anver x Lav Cochin
3 Delawegger (Del x EE, one possible quitter)
5 Delaware (one possible quitter)
5 Barred Easter Egger ( BR x EE)
3 Barred Plymouth Rock

Sounds like it's gonna be one of those varying hatches for you! Little o' this...lil' o' that!
I unfortunately, dropped an egg tonight when turning (still no turner, all by hand) haven't even candled yet but I know it had veining because I saw blood.
barnie.gif
So now I have 23 eggs and we'll see what happens Tuesday night with those.

Back
Top Bottom