Set eggs February 12th! Hatch a long with me!

Are the chicks legs splayed, or was it just the toe issue?
How many total do you have hatched, and still left to hatch?.

Yes the legs were becoming very splayed. With the tape the chick is doing just fine. Wish I'd known about tapping last yr when a friend gave me a just hatched Pea Fowl that became extreemly splayed. I could have helped it.

I have 6 that hatched. 1 died (5 left). 1 couldn't get out of egg after zipping & died.. 4 died In shell. One in process of pipping. 2 that I'm not sure of due to hatch today. For this weekend I have 4 to hatch, Then next Wed, 2 Silkie eggs.

To NYRIR

I see you have Cayuga ducks. Do you have them in w/the chickens, or in a seperate area? We had a Cayuga Drake and found him to be very aggressive to the chickens. We have 3 Rouen ducks, one is a Drake just coming into maturity. He has also become aggressive. Is it just a "male" thing or what?

To NYRIR

I see you have Cayuga ducks. Do you have them in w/the chickens, or in a seperate area? We had a Cayuga Drake and found him to be very aggressive to the chickens. We have 3 Rouen ducks, one is a Drake just coming into maturity. He has also become aggressive. Is it just a "male" thing or what?

No, I don't have them together. I house my ducks separately because I have limited space and they are so destructive. I only have female cayugas so I can't answer you there...

If you look through my photo album, you can see how they are housed as I have pics of my duck house and run ...

Set on the 14th. Have 10 out (8 Buff Orphingtons and 2 Australorps) 6 more pipped and 6 more waiting. This is so eggciting! This is my first hatch and am very blessed we have done so well.
jumpy.gif

I have a question so im on day 17 and I cant get my humidity to go lower then 65 what should I do, I have both vents open, so should I just leave it or try to remove some water? there really isn't that much water in there :)

I have a question so im on day 17 and I cant get my humidity to go lower then 65 what should I do, I have both vents open, so should I just leave it or try to remove some water? there really isn't that much water in there :)

You can put some aluminum foil over parts of the water reservoir. Or you should empty one of the reservoirs if you have more than one filled. The good thing is you know how to get it to 65% for lockdown.

I guess if you're going to lock down on day 18 you really don't need to worry about it now. I had mine between 65% and 75% during lock down and hatched all 5 eggs I started with. Maybe if you try to hatch at a later time you should try it without water until lock down. Mine stayed around 50% without any water.

Good luck with your hatch!

Last edited:
I use a button digital thermometer, inside the bator but I just started using it and not sure how good it is yet. The darn thing was 15.00 so I hope it works well!

Back
Top Bottom