Setting 41 on 6-15, 7-8, 7-31, and 8-23 feel free to join in at any time

See old man? This is what you get.
You'd better hurry up and give us an update before Ruby totally falls off the deep end
gig.gif

Altitude doesn't affect me. I'm at 850ft, but I don't know that altitude was the biggest problem with your early hatches, it was the high temperatures. Maybe I'm oversimplifying it, but isn't 99.5 degrees just 99.5 degrees? Even at higher altitude? You said you were running around 102. That's why you had early hatches. It's just odd how you overanalyze some things, and totally ignore others. Like I said, you fascinate me.

Making bread is dramatically affected by temperature and humidity, and then that is dramatically affected by altitude. That's just a fact. The effect that temperature has on humidity is affected by altitude. That's just a fact. Almost all home bators do not provide wet bulb numbers, and their humidistats suck in comparison to commercial models. Since no incubator is ever run with 100% humidity (which is what wet bulb temperature is, the temperature if the humidity was 100%), clearly the combination of temperature and humidity makes a difference. Stating 2 numbers as if they were golden rules ignores things like; Ambient temperature or ambient humidity. But, you say, the Brinsea has equipment that accounts for that...if ambient temperature is too high, the Brinsea simply stops providing heat (or provides less heat). Ok, but then it comes down to the accuracy of their meters, right?

Brinsea told me that mine may have lost its calibration because it was shipped near some magnet. Lolz...you gotta be kidding me. I can put a magnet directly on a CMOS chip for 5 minutes and have no effect...but hey, they sounded technical and chicken people aren't computer savvy...or so Brinsea would have you believe. The calibration of my unit was done by an idiot, a new trainee, or someone who just didn't care.

But back to wet bulb. If the meters truly were accurate, they could easily calculate wet bulb temperature. They could give us a target that incorporated both temperature and humidity. The only variable would be elevation. So they could ask us for our elevation, and do all the other calculations themselves. But they don't. They don't, because their sensors are not accurate enough...they need to leave themselves the room to say it is our fault. Look at the manual for any commercial incubator...the target is wet bulb temperature, nothing else.

You said you were running around 102. That's why you had early hatches. It's just odd how you overanalyze some things, and totally ignore others. Like I said, you fascinate me.

So it is true that I felt the styro I used was running at 102F, but the Brinsea was actually running at a lower temperature than it was reading...0.6F lower. So I don't believe that is what killed so many in my 1st Brinsea hatch...and I still had early hatches in the Brinsea...explain that to me?

As I have previously said, I totally failed to check the calibration of the Brinsea, but given its advertised as factory calibrated, I don't think I am the first to do that. I'm not sure what I am "totally ignore" ing...

Yes, I have read that chicks generate heat. BFD
hu.gif
. The Brinsea has a thermostat. To me that's just making it harder than it really is.

If a University wants to do a study on commercial practices with respect to the angle that eggs are being turned during an incubation, why do you think they would make the temperature changes I spoke about on Days 19-21? I assumed its because those are the existing practices of the industry they are conducting the study at. I mean, what possible effect could it have on the results of an angle experiment? None, it is simply stating the parameters of the experiment, should anyone want to reproduce their results or try different variables. So it was probably the existing practice of the commercial entity. You think they made those changes in temperature for no reason? You really think; "BFD"? If they thought to make those changes in temperature they did it with either cost savings and/or increased productivity in mind. Why not try them?

About laying eggs flat at lockdown: I don't. No, a broody doesn't hatch eggs upright, but I do. I pull out the rails at lockdown and let the eggs settle as they fall. No lie, the most upright hatch with the least amount of difficulty. I don't have a good explanation why, but that's how it goes. As a matter of fact, I will leave clear eggs in just to take up enough space to keep them at a 45 degree angle or more, then pull them out when I pull out the chicks. People also say the Brinsea is too small to hatch a full load. BS. The underside of a broody is pretty cramped, too.

Well, I guess the opposite to my anal position is to do things for no reason whatsoever. "I don't have a good explanation why" just begs me to find one. That you think one is unnecessary only tells me you haven't thought this through. It works, so you don't muck with it...great. We don't have to examine that any more, but when that becomes advice, I don't see how you can offer it to others...its not advice, its merely observation. You don't know it works for anyone else, only that it works for you. That, I thought, was the whole purpose of "She said, He said"...but we're not there, we're here.

Wet bulb, shmet bulb. Overcomplicating it. I understand the theory behind wet bulb, but isn't that more for figuring humidity than actual temperature? My mind is overactive in the way that I look at things from a bunch of different angles and try to find the easiest way in. You have a scientific mind, your head is full of numbers, and you are adding equations where they aren't necessary. 99.5 degree average. 42% humidity. Set your parameters, keep some dadgum water in that thing, and shut up
thumbsup.gif

Well, there's overcomplicating, oversimplifying, and fact. No, wet bulb is not for figuring humidity, it is for figuring both temperature and humidity. I love that you always look for the easiest way, and you offer many great insights in that regard (e.g. see a snake inside your coop with an egg in its gullet, get a shovel), simple and to the point.

BTW, please don't take this the wrong way, but the worst thing anyone can say to anyone else is "shut up". We're on a site intended to get people to interact and share thoughts..."shut up" is the antithesis of that.

Hi everyone, I candled last night as I was on day 7 it looks like I,ve got 3 develpoing 2 clears and 1 sloshing about, so hopefully I will have 3 chicks in 14 days
fl.gif

Woot!!, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you too.

What is the deal with this thread? I come over here, start slinging stuff around to get the old man riled up, and he disappears?
What's happening, NT?

10,000 garlic @scflock , has a sobering effect on spending time in front of the computer. Plus I am up to 88 living birds here now, so feeding take a wee bit more time.

I think he's trying to figure out how to fit the bomb in the envelope

hmm, self-deprecating humor, not expected....
thumbsup.gif

See old man? This is what you get.
You'd better hurry up and give us an update before Ruby totally falls off the deep end
gig.gif

Huh?

Last edited:
Making bread is dramatically affected by temperature and humidity, and then that is dramatically affected by altitude. That's just a fact. The effect that temperature has on humidity is affected by altitude. That's just a fact. Almost all home bators do not provide wet bulb numbers, and their humidistats suck in comparison to commercial models. Since no incubator is ever run with 100% humidity (which is what wet bulb temperature is, the temperature if the humidity was 100%), clearly the combination of temperature and humidity makes a difference. Stating 2 numbers as if they were golden rules ignores things like; Ambient temperature or ambient humidity. But, you say, the Brinsea has equipment that accounts for that...if ambient temperature is too high, the Brinsea simply stops providing heat (or provides less heat). Ok, but then it comes down to the accuracy of their meters, right?

BTW, there is a reason that many of those features (e.g. Ambient temperature) is in the Brinsea calibration menu.

Last edited:
I love @scflock , he's got my number and in many circumstances could get me to a point I'd choke on. But this week has had too many dishes of humble pie for me. My garlic has turned out pretty terrible. My fault, nobody else's, and I can't even blame the weather. Sucks to find out you've failed when its too late to do anything about it. His sharp criticisms have been echoed by my completely mild-mannered incubator friend, which was a sharp rebuke totally unexpected. I know she doesn't think she has done that, as she'd never do it intentionally, but never-the-less. So to compensate I have been drinking more and typing less, something I only recently learned...;-] FWIW, I will get back on my horse and continue this journey, I've no choice...but in case I've given a different impression, I suck when I fail...;-]

I tried understanding the wet bulb info when I first started incubating. I "made" one, but when I changed to "dry" incubation, I didn't have any way to keep the wick wet. I need read up on it again...

I love @scflock
, he's got my number and in many circumstances could get me to a point I'd choke on. But this week has had too many dishes of humble pie for me. My garlic has turned out pretty terrible. My fault, nobody else's, and I can't even blame the weather. Sucks to find out you've failed when its too late to do anything about it. His sharp criticisms have been echoed by my completely mild-mannered incubator friend, which was a sharp rebuke totally unexpected. I know she doesn't think she has done that, as she'd never do it intentionally, but never-the-less. So to compensate I have been drinking more and typing less, something I only recently learned...;-] FWIW, I will get back on my horse and continue this journey, I've no choice...but in case I've given a different impression, I suck when I fail...;-]
I will be back at the big computer shortly where I can do your ramblings justice. Hang tight for about 20 minutes :gig

Back
Top Bottom