Setting eggs, anyone want to join me? Hatch-Along

I thought that that's how you count the days. That means that yesterday was day 21. Nothing today either. :(. Man I was really hoping to hatch some of my own eggs. I guess I will candle them tonight or tomorrow and see if anyone is still alive. This is the first time I've had any issues with my incubator.

I did put a wet cloth in yesterday but I'm sure it's too late. We shall see.....

I know everyone says not to do this, but at this point I'd take one out and pip and zip the end to see what's going on. How have your air cells looked, and what issues have you been having with the bator- I'm guessing humidity since you mentioned the washcloth? I don't even use a hygrometer when I've got eggs going.
I've done just about everything possible to mess up an incubation and have still ended up with a few hatching on their own (the rest I usually have to assist, when I mess up real bad)...
Nikki

What I did when the rest of my eggs weren't moving was just candled them to look for movement. When I didn't see any I went ahead and did an eggtopsy to see what happened.

So far the only issue is humidity and I still think its from the winter weather.

I think I will candle them and do eggtopsy on the ones not moving and I just might try and help the ones that are moving(if there are any moving). I've had to help some finish hatching in the past but nothing like this. As a matter if fact one of the ones I helped happens to be one if the silkies I'm trying to hatch from. She's my avatar, her name is Paris. Love her to pieces too!

I shall keep checking on my eggs and go from there. Hopefully I can get some chicks out of this. Silkie eggs are soo tiny! I also hope I can get some if my Olive Eggers eggs to hatch too. My rooster is very handsome and I think his chicks would be beautiful.

So far the only issue is humidity and I still think its from the winter weather.

I think I will candle them and do eggtopsy on the ones not moving and I just might try and help the ones that are moving(if there are any moving). I've had to help some finish hatching in the past but nothing like this. As a matter if fact one of the ones I helped happens to be one if the silkies I'm trying to hatch from. She's my avatar, her name is Paris. Love her to pieces too!

I shall keep checking on my eggs and go from there. Hopefully I can get some chicks out of this. Silkie eggs are soo tiny! I also hope I can get some if my Olive Eggers eggs to hatch too. My rooster is very handsome and I think his chicks would be beautiful.

I've noticed with my Silkie eggs that they either hatch just fine or they're a complete disaster. Last summer I paid $30 for 14 eggs from a great breeder near me. I'd done a couple of test hatches and had 95% hatch rates both times. Only 5 of those $30 eggs hatched, and I didn't have a single issue while incubating.
When I set my own eggs this time, I'd put some in the fridge with the pointy end up and quite a few were porous, and they're developing well. Go figure :/
I HOPE HOPE HOPE you get something!!!
Nikki

I sadly still have nothing. I'm finding it hard to keep the humidity up on the incubator. I'm thinking I've lost my eggs to low humidity.
sad.png
these were from my silkies, olive Eggers, & Cochin/silkie cross. Maybe something will still hatch. I've never had this problem before, but I think it's just the dry winter air. Still it's only day 22(?) so who knows.

Do you count the day they go in as the first day or should you start the next full day?? I always get that messed up.

I dont even watch my humidity levels just keep water in the bottom of my cheap bator and add a wet sponge on lock down and my eggs hatch...
celebrate.gif

I've noticed with my Silkie eggs that they either hatch just fine or they're a complete disaster. Last summer I paid $30 for 14 eggs from a great breeder near me. I'd done a couple of test hatches and had 95% hatch rates both times. Only 5 of those $30 eggs hatched, and I didn't have a single issue while incubating.
When I set my own eggs this time, I'd put some in the fridge with the pointy end up and quite a few were porous, and they're developing well. Go figure
hmm.png

I HOPE HOPE HOPE you get something!!!
Nikki

thumbsup.gif

I hope something hatches too. I have candled th and they all have good air spaces. Most of them seem like they are alive but no internal pips. Today is day 22 so should I wait till tomorrow to open the shell in the air space or should I try it tonight? I've got the humidity up now.

You could technically wait until day 25 to perform an eggtopsy. If you saw movement leave the eggs alone. If you didn't see any movement they are most likely deceased.

Back
Top Bottom