Setting eggs today (1/9) hatch buddy?!

Candled yesterday day 11 and removed four more that had stopped developing so we now have 25
fl.gif
out of the original 43 these were a combination of 24 shipped 12 fresh gathered from my flock plus 7 I had refrigerated. I was very suprised to see development in the refrigerated eggs I put them in as a control group to see how much temperatures played a part in the problem with shipped eggs. Remaining are as follows 8 shipped, 12 fresh, 5 refrigerated all had active living chicks developing as of late yesterday.

I had the room for the extra eggs and thought what the heck I'm setting anyway so I let them warm up to room temperature while I was letting the shipped eggs rest and come up in temperature too. I figured worst case I would pull them out because nothing was happening boy was I surprised when there were veins on all except one that was clear. I don't know how long they can sit in the refrigerator or how low the temperature can go before they lose viability. My refrigerator is set at 38 degrees which I would have thought was to cold for the eggs and the were in there a week. After this I am assuming that the handling and bouncing around does more damage to the shipped eggs than the cold.

I have to do stupid, smelly homework, and there is this rooster named chris, which chases after me and even tries to attack me through the fence

Quote: Edited to add-

I must have left my browser open, that was my daughter
lau.gif

Last edited:
So far it looks like all 13 of mine are going strong, though in the darker shelled eggs all I can see when I candle is the air sac, but that's a good sign! I even saw one move when I candled! That was so exciting! Just 6 days to go for my little chicks to hatch...I'd better start thinking about setting up the brooder.
celebrate.gif

Good luck to the rest of you!

set up the brooder and get the chick feed I am picking that up on Wednesday mine are due Friday and Saturday. One last candling on Tuesday as I set them up for lockdown. We all need to post our counts and pictures of the babies next weekend

Back
Top Bottom