Setting eggs tomorrow night, 3/29/12, anyone want to hatch with us?

Jane how are they looking??? It is so frustrating when they do not develop! I am only on day 2 or 3 on my newest eggs but I am always afraid to candle! Some of these are really dark and since I wont be able to see inside of them, I will live in denial for weeks crossing my fingers they are full of baby chick. I have a bunch of chicks right now so if all else fails you are welcome to some of mine! I have silkies, bantam cochin x silkie & bantam cochin frizzle x silkie.... I hopefully will have some BBS Marans in 3 weeks as well as some more yep you guessed it silkies ...
lau.gif

I had a brilliant idea for a new brooder yesterday as my rubbermaid tub seemed awfully cramped.... and well I found this on Craigslist for $20 bucks!!!! The chicks are so HAPPY!
yippiechickie.gif

Why it took me so long to think of this I'll never know!!!

That is brilliant! Well, they seem to be doing a little bit of something in the egg but nothing like I think they should. I mean we're on day 11 (ish) and there's only a wee baby in about 4 of them. Some of the eggs just are clear... they'll be tossed in a few days. Some of them just have "darkening yolks"... which is a big fat nothing as far as I know. Depression has set in. I'm trying to keep a stiff upper lip and hope for the best. I know a lot of this is my newbie-ism and some of it is the shipment portion of the process.... but it still is a super duper bummer.

My youngest babies have been eating out of my hand all day. Love it. Now they are all tired out w/full crops and it's sleepy time! Almost 1 wk old except for the Silky you can see wing feathers on. It's almost 2wks old.

Not that I am an enabler
lau.gif
but here is a picture I took of one of my silkie chicks today ..... Such a POSER!!
How could you not want to add that too your collection? Don't you like how I call it a collection like you do with fine wine ....

You are so bad to tempt me!!! How could I not want something that cute?????

And then... if the cuteness isn't already enough, there is the broody factor. I've heard silkies are the best broodies!!!

Time to start planning coops...

Jane how are they looking??? It is so frustrating when they do not develop! I am only on day 2 or 3 on my newest eggs but I am always afraid to candle! Some of these are really dark and since I wont be able to see inside of them, I will live in denial for weeks crossing my fingers they are full of baby chick. I have a bunch of chicks right now so if all else fails you are welcome to some of mine! I have silkies, bantam cochin x silkie & bantam cochin frizzle x silkie.... I hopefully will have some BBS Marans in 3 weeks as well as some more yep you guessed it silkies ...
lau.gif

I had a brilliant idea for a new brooder yesterday as my rubbermaid tub seemed awfully cramped.... and well I found this on Craigslist for $20 bucks!!!! The chicks are so HAPPY!
yippiechickie.gif

Why it took me so long to think of this I'll never know!!!

It's a Peck n Play!!! You are so brillliant! I need one! Time to go shopping on craigslist!!!

To those of you following my English BBS Orp egg drama... I've pitched all of the remaining eggs this evening after candling. There was nothing even closely resembling a chick there....and for the most part, I had porcelain clear eggs with only 3 "dots" that had quit at it appears day 4ish. I'm so depressed.... I know the seller of the eggs is also setting some, so I'm in touch with her and hoping for more results. Maybe next year. I feel like a Cubs fan. The more I read, the more I learn... the more I'm determined to follow the dry incubation cheat sheet by ChooksChicks... I'm hoping for less depression next time.
hit.gif

A house nearby has a load of beautiful feathered friends and they are active layers/maters, etc. I dropped by today and got myself 6 lovely green/light brown eggs. Who knows? Maybe I need to roll with the locals.

duc.gif

So sad. Jane

To those of you following my English BBS Orp egg drama... I've pitched all of the remaining eggs this evening after candling. There was nothing even closely resembling a chick there....and for the most part, I had porcelain clear eggs with only 3 "dots" that had quit at it appears day 4ish. I'm so depressed.... I know the seller of the eggs is also setting some, so I'm in touch with her and hoping for more results. Maybe next year. I feel like a Cubs fan. The more I read, the more I learn... the more I'm determined to follow the dry incubation cheat sheet by ChooksChicks... I'm hoping for less depression next time.
hit.gif

A house nearby has a load of beautiful feathered friends and they are active layers/maters, etc. I dropped by today and got myself 6 lovely green/light brown eggs. Who knows? Maybe I need to roll with the locals.

duc.gif

So sad. Jane
Oh Jane I'm so sorry ... It is so depressing when nothing develops. My first hatch I thought I had a bunch that were going to hatch and I swore I heard peeping.... I had to move the eggs at lockdown to another incubator and I have a feeling that is what did them in ..... I'll be curious to see how many hatch for the seller .... I have had sellers either not even respond when the eggs don't hatch at all and I have had others offer to send me new eggs if I pay shipping. When I contact the sellers I didn't expect anything I just wanted to let them know for their own knowledge ....

I have had good success with the dry method for local eggs but I find that in our dry climate I need a little more moisture for shipped eggs and using the dry principal I never let me dry go below 20% for more then a day or so .... I still don't have it perfected. I have a really nice black orpington 3 month old you can have if you want to add to your flock. It is from Bargains eggs.... not english but her birds are nice and fluffy ..... She is really sweet and thinks she is a house chicken.... I also have a LOVELY Blue Copper Marans Rooster I am looking to rehome .... He also thinks he is a house chicken and is so sweet. Those 2 follow me around everywhere I go and sit by the back door all day waiting for me to come out or let them in!!! He has in the last few days made crowing sounds .... hmmmmm not full blown yet but soon I'm sure .... So if you know of anybody.... He is also from Bargains eggs and is SO PRETTY!!!

Did you set your new eggs??? I had such a long day at work yesterday I almost forgot to lockdown my eggs last night..... but I did.... so who knows 4 white silkies in lockdown ... I don't know if any will hatch but we'll see.

I just found this thread. I set my 30 guinea eggs on the 29th. I am trying the "dry hatch" method this time.
fl.gif
Here's hoping for the best! Good luck to all you!

This is Blue, my Blue Cochin hen (she is close to being black). She's hatched a Cochin mix and an EE chick. Still has 3 Cochin mix eggs under her. 2 are pipped. Hope to have 3 more chicks by morning.

Back
Top Bottom