Setting Today (03-02-2012)

#9 just hatched.
jumpy.gif

Now I need to leave for work and won't be home til 11pm. Arrgh. Did I mention we had a power failure earlier today? It came back on just as I was ready to panic.

Congrats to those who already have chicks...
I'm on Day 20.... no chicks..

Had yet another dream about chicks though.
I dreamt that I wasn't getting any chicks so I brought the incubator to the hospital to see what was wrong. it was so weird.
i was like doctor,,, why aren't they hatching... and he said "well, ma'm you see that stamp on the bottom? Made in China? these are plastic eggs" lol
that's a hilarious dream!!
lau.gif

well, mine are all hatched. i had 6 duds.....tapped them, no peep, candled them, no movement, did the water test (put the egg in a warm cup of water to see if it moves) and no movement. one of the eggs was only half grown so i don't know why i even put it in lockdown! anyway though, out of 26 eggs that made it to lockdown (including the one that shouldn't have even gone into lockdown).....i had 20 chicks hatch. mostly black, a few greys, and 3 whites. they are all in the brooder now with their 2 chicks from the feed store. lol, you should've seen Delilah and Ruby (my 2 feed store girls) when i placed 20 friends in there...they were looking around and kinda doing an alarmed peep. funny!

Last edited:
I go into lockdown this evening since I set on the evening of the 3rd. Hoping for a successful hatch, at least timed for the weekend so I can watch.
No opening of the hatcher for me, it's locked down till the 23 day, they will be fine in there till then. On the 23, it's a quick upen and pluck them out
then close it back up for any late hatchers. Auto watering system so I don't have to worry about that, just keep an eye on that 5 gal bucket.

I have a banty Cochin hatched. It pipped, zipped and popped in about an hour. It isn't even the one I saw the first pip in (for the Cochins). I heard shell flying in the carton and got up to check and here this little one was was already zipped and pushing it's way out! Talk about determination! I have 2 more pipped... I can't wait!

I have 13 Black Copper Marans, 7 Brown Leghorn/EE, 7 EE-Green, 3+1TWIN EE-Pink going on lockdown tonight.
pop.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
The Pink Double Yolk has been confirmed fertile by candling..the hen who laid it "George" is our favorite hen, she is an EE that lays a light Pink egg, so we could not resist putting her "Twins" in the incubator to see if it was fertile, "George" hasn't been with any rooster since a week before the egg was laid, so it was also an experiment to see how long after a mating the eggs could still be fertile. The twins are not due until 2 days later than the rest. Any advise relating to the Twins is appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom