Setting Today (03-02-2012)

I ended up taking the hatched ones out. Was as quick as possible, but they were pecking them out of the shells. Have had three hatch since they left and they are all doing great. The first one they pecked is in a separate container with the light. It is sooo tiny compared to the rest. It's legs we're splayed and I have them taped.. Never done that before and hope I have them right. The second one they pecked out of the shell is fine... It stayed attached to the part of the shell for quite a while but it would just drag it around by the umbilicus and after several hours it came off. So ... 15 out and doing good and one out and not so good. One with a big ol pip and 8 that I see nothing. Today is day 21. Is day 24 the magic number to give up the rest on??? I hate to quit on them to soon, or after 23 are we a no go?? I have one that I can see is sort of standing on end.. The air cell side is up. Is this bad?? Sure hate for it to blow up!!!

If you do have a chick that is having trouble walking or has crook neck, its often worth giving then vitamins on their beak. We have some baby poultry stuff that has molasses in it, and ti works wonders for splayed limbs and wonky necks. Doesn't always work, but it seems to help. However ill warn you, do NOT spill that crap on the carpet....

One of my babies has a weird foot, it looks like one of his toes is too thick or connected to something. he can walk but its kinda lumpy. Ill post a pic later, all is chaos here as we were pulling out old kitchen counters and found mold all over the wall. Lets hope we don't have to pull the whole bloody wall out and replace it.

Congrats Newduckie!
I have had 1 hatch after taking the chicks out. the other one i think either passed on or took a breather. the beak was out of the shell. the 1 that hatched is a bit darker then the rest which is cool. So I have some differences. :)

I have 16 total now, not counting the 11 that I bought two weeks ago from Orchliens. Mine are all black sex link and some are yellow .. Some are black and two are red. All of them have spots or streaks of another color on them.. I hope it is not true that the black ones that have a white spot on their head are roosters because if so.... I got a LOT of roosters!!! Lol

Just peeked in because of the loud peeping and now have 17. Do not see anymore pips or movement on any eggs. Could be tho since they have been knocked around and rolled so much. I will check then in the a.m.

I have four out of the 15 i orderd, the others died.
And 1 out of 13 of my own pullet eggs.
I think that the problem was that the humiditie droped overnight when they where due and they got sealed in.
I know now how to fix it so i hope the ducklings will be able to hatch next week.
And after them there are going to be new eggs to go, i'll learn how to do this right!

Well my total so far is 27 hatched. I had 28 but one died, something must have been wrong. I started with 39 eggs and still have the rest in the incubator till my two hatch on wed or so. One of my green eggs pip through the night so I am hopeful. I really am not counting on any of the remaining to hatch,except the pipped one, and my other two. I did help the last few out last night since I felt that they would have not made it on there own through the night. I was getting a lot of shrink wrapping.

Well I've had 42 hatch, one hatched but died shortly later, three still in the bater with one pipped. Had one hatch out with the yoke still attached, figured he wouldn't make it through the night but got up this morning and the 7 of them in there were all fine. They're all in the brooder now, hope when I get home thre will be a couple more. Had 5 clears this batch so out of 50 eggs, I got 42 hatched so far. (I count the passed one, he did hatch) 84% so far, not to bad from my own eggs. How I did a batch for a friend, she had 18 and only 2 were fertile, I think she needs a new rooster, this one isn't getting the job done.
Hope everone else on this thread is going to have a successful hatch.

i ended up with 17 chicks nd one of them had to be culled. It was the one that the other chicks pecked out of the shell. this morning it was on its back and barely breathing. Its little belly was soooo swelled and I could tell it would not get better so we culled it.. the incubator was really smelling and two eggs were pretty much standin on end so I candled and ended up throwing the others away. two were ROTTEN!!!!! three had fully formed chicks that had absorbed their yolks but were dead. one was a tiny little chick that ha quit a while back. I ended up with 16 healthy chicks out of 25 eggs that went to lockdown. I am happy

Back
Top Bottom