Setting Today (03-02-2012)

I have had a total of 31 hatch. I did have one die. Right now I have on in my bra to keep it from getting picked on. It is one of the two of my
Green eggs that hatched. I really need to clean out the incubator, it stinks. I still have two left that should hatch on the 28th. I guess I should candle and clean it some.

I have had a total of 31 hatch. I did have one die. Right now I have on in my bra to keep it from getting picked on. It is one of the two of my
Green eggs that hatched. I really need to clean out the incubator, it stinks. I still have two left that should hatch on the 28th. I guess I should candle and clean it some.

It is amazing how nasty they are after a hatch. I got mine cleaned and bleached and now it is back on heating up for some goose eggs that will go to lockdown on Thursday.

OOOo. The last chick of mine to hatch was really aggressive to the others and kept pecking them in the eyes. So I got worried as usual and made him a brooder box of his own....aka the incubator. I took out the plastic bottom and put felt, and a hand warmer in one corner. The temp of the incubator is on low and I decided to put the top on a diamond shaped compared to the bottom so that it lets out some of the heat and gives him air.

I was able to calm him down while i was holding him. When i first held him, he kept biting my hands. He was the only one that did this (the others kept screeching loudly when i held them. Anyway, the way i calmed him down is i cupped my hands around him, not too tight but gave him a half inch to move around and breathe. When I did this he calmed down and actually fell asleep...
smile.png
. It gives you the ability to bond with your new hatch chicks and make them friendly to people.

Okay here are pics of my new brood. I am so surprised that I had 100% hatch rate on my own eggs. the black/brown ones are my Barnie X the others are pure Barnies
wee.gif

In the beginning or somewhere along the line of this hatch i Said I have all RIR chicks...
Boy am I red in the face.... I have 4 Leghorn Chicks and 2 RIRs. lol. 1 of the RIR is smaller then the other RIR.

I lost one of my chick, not really sure from what but it was by the water dish, I have marbles in the dish. the temp it the room was high at 107 or so. I really hate when the outside temp goes wonky.

I would like to update my chick breed.
After a few days I noticed that they look nothing like RIR. I believe 4 are Leghorns, 1 is a mix between Leghorn and 1 is a RIR. lol.

Last edited:
man i cant wait to see them and you setup. u know im gonna want to start hatchin after i see it i bet. ;)

Well I've had 42 hatch, one hatched but died shortly later, three still in the bater with one pipped. Had one hatch out with the yoke still attached, figured he wouldn't make it through the night but got up this morning and the 7 of them in there were all fine. They're all in the brooder now, hope when I get home thre will be a couple more. Had 5 clears this batch so out of 50 eggs, I got 42 hatched so far. (I count the passed one, he did hatch) 84% so far, not to bad from my own eggs. How I did a batch for a friend, she had 18 and only 2 were fertile, I think she needs a new rooster, this one isn't getting the job done.
Hope everone else on this thread is going to have a successful hatch.

Well my last two eggs hatched with some help. For some reason a lot of my egg shrink wrapped this time. With the last two eggs the temp was between 92 and 101 and humidity was at 86% I only opened once or twice really fast to see all that(glass was fogged). I think it is time to build a better incubator for next year. I am not sure if I am going to hatch anymore this year. I have 31 under a week and 16 that are almost 5 weeks(time for them to go outside).

Back
Top Bottom