Setting up the bator and setting shipped eggs this week....anyone else wanna join?

I'm not hatching any eggs, so sorry to hijack but I find this thread so exciting!! :)
I will be getting some silkie and rir eggs this spring and I'm learning a lot just reading through this thread! I'm also really enjoying it!
I'm new to chickens so I'm really wanting the "whole" experience and I think hatching eggs is a part of it.
I hope you all have success with all of your eggs! Looking forward to keeping up with the thread and seeing the chickies! :)

Ok... That is all... Please continue!

I have a few suggestions for newer hatches and shipped eggs.

Plug in your incubator 48 hours before arrival. Get your temp steady. If that room has to much activity and unstable temps..move the bator to something like a closet or small room. Do not put eggs in until you have steady temps for 12 hours. As far as humidity..each environment is different. All I can suggest is adjust your humidity in the incubator according to your outside humidity. If your house humidity is between 30-50% I suggest dry hatching till day 18. If your house humidity is lower you will need to add a damp paper towel.

When the eggs arrive, wash and sanitize you hands..never handle eggs with out sanitizing.
gently remove them from the wrapping and container and place them in egg cartons with the pointy end down. Let them rest with out touching for 24 hours.

After 24 hours take the eggs in a dark room and candle. Mark the air cells with pencil and make note of it in a notebook what eggs have good air cells and what ones do not. Most shipped eggs are marked. If your eggs are not... number the eggs on the fat end with a pencil.

Place them in the incubator pointy end down and leave them and the thermometer alone for 24 hours.You can just set the egg cartons in if you hand turn. No turning for 24 hours. The temp will fluctuate..leave it be. It takes a while for the eggs to get to temp. If you turn it up, it will get to hot after 24 hours. If after 24 hours the temp is low, place a towel on the back side covering the air holes. Check the temp after 8 hours.If it is too hot, remove a plug. The key is to not turn the knob. If your incubator is steady and in a good room, you will have a good hatch.

Turn on your turner or start hand turning after all your air cells have attached.
If you are using the egg cartons all you need to do is invert something like a pie plate and put on end of the carton on it. Just put the other end on the plate for every turn. Better for sanitation and less loss from infections with less handling.

The picture of the egg on day 7 was from here. I did not take that picture
images

Last edited:
Morning! It's Day 9 for my eggs and humidity is at 49%. How are everyone's eggs doing today? Thanks so much Delisha for sharing those valuable hatching tips and best practices!

Noah, thanking for watching our thread for your well wishes for our eggs. Hope your future hatch goes well.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I am done candling until day 18. I have a half way decent batch of eggs in the bator and I should end up with at least a dozen chicks. Day 18 will be the deciding factor. All I will be doing from here on out is checking temps twice a day. I never turn my knob. I adjust using the holes or a towel. Usually I never have to do anything.
It is now just a waiting game. Anxiety, anticipation, hope, excitement and nerves. All conduits to the obsession.

Thank you for the great post! My first time hatching and any info is greatly appreciated. Have not had to adjust my temps, just my humidity. Our house is very dry as we heat with wood. Good luck with your hatch - sounds like you've got your technique down pat!

I am done candling until day 18. I have a half way decent batch of eggs in the bator and I should end up with at least a dozen chicks. Day 18 will be the deciding factor. All I will be doing from here on out is checking temps twice a day. I never turn my knob. I adjust using the holes or a towel. Usually I never have to do anything.
It is now just a waiting game. Anxiety, anticipation, hope, excitement and nerves. All conduits to the obsession.

Hi Kelly and welcome - I didn't expect to be incubating anything but reading all the threads gave me a hankering to give it a try:D. You'll probably be joining in on the adventure before you know it:p. so much to learn, it's great to be able to do it with others that are willing to share their experience and expertise on the subject. I love stalking all these threads too;)

I'm not hatching any eggs, so sorry to hijack but I find this thread so exciting!! :)
I will be getting some silkie and rir eggs this spring and I'm learning a lot just reading through this thread! I'm also really enjoying it!
I'm new to chickens so I'm really wanting the "whole" experience and I think hatching eggs is a part of it.
I hope you all have success with all of your eggs! Looking forward to keeping up with the thread and seeing the chickies! :)

Ok... That is all... Please continue!

Hey Justine,
I think the egglets are doing well. Bator is holding steady just added some water to keep my humidity in line. I have a hatching buddy coming over to take a look at the eggs to see if she can get a better feel for what I may or may not be seeing. I still have several that I'm unclear on. Nothing like a little paranoia:)

Hope everyone else is on track too!

Holly just left. I have more eggs with veining, 1 definite blood ring and two maybes. So six viable out of 9 right now. Doin' a happy dance!!! I will wait until day 14 and recandle. Woohoo:D

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom