SEVERELY CRACKED SHELL BUT MEMBRANE INTACT! HELP ASAP!

I applied more vegetable oil around 2 hours ago maybe and here’s how it looks now. Still no movement and seems to be lots of fluid inside but as I said, I have no clue how normal or not normal that is.

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpeg
    IMG_3339.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3341.jpeg
    IMG_3341.jpeg
    429 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3345.jpeg
    IMG_3345.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 11
If you look to the top left, inside of where I circled, you can see a bit of feathers there. Idk what part of the chick it actually is but I sat and watched it for at least 5 minutes straight and seen no movement.

Attachments

• IMG_3343.jpeg
    IMG_3343.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3341.jpeg
    IMG_3341.jpeg
    440.5 KB · Views: 12
I applied more vegetable oil around 2 hours ago maybe and here’s how it looks now. Still no movement and seems to be lots of fluid inside but as I said, I have no clue how normal or not normal that is.
Sorry i didnt respond I'm atlantic time, and fell asleep before you answered.

It's too wet to be ready to hatch. It does look like there was a bleed in the membrane like you suspected. Blue circle is what looks like a ruptured blood vein to me. And the red circle is the yolk.

Babies head should be at the rounded end of the egg possibly tucked under a wing. Which i believe in this picture is the end that still has shell on it. If you choose to open the membrane start at the rounded end where the aircell would have been.

At this point it looks like your baby did die. Most of the veins are gone and it still has a large amount of yolk on the outside.
IMG_3334~2.jpeg

Sorry i didnt respond I'm atlantic time, and fell asleep before you answered.

It's too wet to be ready to hatch. It does look like there was a bleed in the membrane like you suspected. Blue circle is what looks like a ruptured blood vein to me. And the red circle is the yolk.

Babies head should be at the rounded end of the egg possibly tucked under a wing. Which i believe in this picture is the end that still has shell on it. If you choose to open the membrane start at the rounded end where the aircell would have been.

At this point it looks like your baby did die. Most of the veins are gone and it still has a large amount of yolk on the outside.
View attachment 3689822
Thank you so much for all your help. Now I’m worried about the sibling egg that is set to hatch same as this one. It fell also but it did not crack at all! So it’s perfectly fine on the outside at least. Is there anyway to tell how chick is on the inside of it? Being that these are olive color eggs it’s already extremely hard to candle these but if I attempt it, what should I look for as possible problems or trauma indicators??

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your help. Now I’m worried about the sibling egg that is set to hatch same as this one. It fell also but it did not crack at all! So it’s perfectly fine on the outside at least. Is there anyway to tell how chick is on the inside of it? Being that these are olive color eggs it’s already extremely hard to candle these but it I attempt it, what should I look for as possible problems or trauma indicators??
You can look right around the edges of the aircell when you candle it, and look for movement. Aside from that there's no way to tell. Especially since you don't know the due date.

You can look right around the edges of the aircell when you candle it, and look for movement. Aside from that there's no way to tell. Especially since you don't know the due date.
Okay thank you so much! When I look around the air cell, am I just looking for movement or could I possibly see if any veins have ruptured etc?

Okay thank you so much! When I look around the air cell, am I just looking for movement or could I possibly see if any veins have ruptured etc?
All I was meaning for you to see was the chick moving.

It is possible to see ruptured veins without candling if it's big enough, the egg would have a dark spot on the shell, that wasn't there before. It would look kind of like a shadow, that's without candling. like the egg in this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-day-28-1x-runner-duck-egg-bruising.1429742/

It is possible to see ruptured veins without candling if it's big enough, the egg would have a dark spot on the shell, that wasn't there before. It would look kind of like a shadow, that's without candling. like the egg in this post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-day-28-1x-runner-duck-egg-bruising.1429742/
Ohhh I see! Well I tried to candle and could see a little bit but it’s soooo hard to see in person even staring at it as hard as I could I just couldn’t make out any movement inside. Here’s the best views I could get that weren’t just pitch black. But after staring at it for so long in a pitch black room it’s like my eyes just couldn’t focus in to see movement. So frustrating

Attachments

• IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3367.jpeg
    IMG_3367.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3371.jpeg
    IMG_3371.jpeg
    51.8 KB · Views: 16

Okay so…I decided to open the badly cracked egg that had no movement. The chick was in fact dead. 😭 I’m going to show you a picture of how the chick looked and maybe you can tell me how far away from hatch day it could’ve been that way I have a better rough idea of when to expect the sibling egg to hatch??

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpeg
    IMG_3461.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    423.9 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom