ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
I'm hoping to find some people to help me with sex linked chickens.
Would a Cream Legbar x Barred rock hen make sex linked chicks? Any idea what they would look like? I'm hoping for colorful roosters.
Cream Legbar x Delaware?
Cream Legbar x Silver Laced Wyandotte?
Cream Legbar x Columbian Wyandotte?
For the SLW would the offspring's eggs be a very light tinted blue?
Any other suggestions for hens or roosters? I wanna make a fancy rooster, but I wanna know male or female at hatch.
I don't really care about egg laying or meat too much but as long as I get a decent amount of eggs I'm happy lol.
I would like to try brown leghorns as my rooster, but am unsure what its base color is. If it is red/gold I will give it a try!
Thanks So Very Much!!

Crested Cream Legbars are Barred. So if you breed a Barred bird such as them to Barred Rocks, & Delaware there's no sex linking, only more Barred birds.

If you breed a Barred Female to any solid non Barred male, like a Buff Orpington, or RIR, will result in Sex linked offspring. Males with headspots, that'll feather out with barring, & solid females no, barring.
Wyandottes will work too, just make sure it's a male.

Would a Cream Legbar x Barred rock hen make sex linked chicks? Any idea what they would look like? I'm hoping for colorful roosters.
Cream Legbar x Delaware?
Any other suggestions for hens or roosters? I wanna make a fancy rooster, but I wanna know male or female at hatch.
I don't really care about egg laying or meat too much but as long as I get a decent amount of eggs I'm happy lol.
I would like to try brown leghorns as my rooster, but am unsure what its base color is. If it is red/gold I will give it a try!
Thanks So Very Much!!
Brown Leghorns are gold/Red based. Can't have red without gold, or gold without gold.

But Autosomal red can give a reddish/Golden/Lemony look. But this is a separate gene, that I'm still learning about.

Crested Cream Legbars are Barred. So if you breed a Barred bird such as them to Barred Rocks, & Delaware there's no sex linking, only more Barred birds.

If you breed a Barred Female to any solid non Barred male, like a Buff Orpington, or RIR, will result in Sex linked offspring. Males with headspots, that'll feather out with barring, & solid females no, barring.
Wyandottes will work too, just make sure it's a male.
I know they are a barred type, but in my books and online it says that legbars are all understood to be gold-based birds.

Cream Legbar x Delaware?
Thanks So Very Much!!
I just noticed this thread, but maybe I can help a bit.

Cream Legbar is gold and barred.
Crossing a Cream Legbar male (gold) to a silver female will give sexlinked chicks.
Delaware, Silver Laced Wyandotte, and Columbian Wyandotte are all silver, so they should all work.
For some of those, you may have trouble telling the chicks apart when they are young, if they have too much black in their down (which makes it hard to see the gold or silver.) I might expect trouble with the Laced one, but the Delaware and Columbian will probably be fine.

Cream Legbar rooster with Barred Rock hen will give chicks that mostly look like Barred Rocks: white barring on a black base color. They may have some gold or red color leaking through as they grow up. With pure Barred Rocks, you can sort-of tell gender by appearance, and that will probably work on the crossed chicks too (males have two copies of the barring gene, so they tend to have more white in their barring as they grow up, and a bigger spot on their head when they are chicks, while the females have only one copy of the barring gene so they have less white.)

Brown Leghorns are a good choice for fathering sexlink chicks.
They are gold and they are not-barred.
So you can breed them to silver females, or to barred females, and get sexlink chicks both ways. (Male chicks will get silver or barring or both from their mothers, female chicks will be gold with no barring.)

Back
Top Bottom